From The General MA Area

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
My way of view. A martial art is more than kicking and trowing punches, a martial art teach the person mora than that, MAeaches self respect and respect for the others, teachs order,loyalty,good manners and teach the techs to deliver punches,kicks,trows,etc.

MMA,UFC,Vale Todo,etc,etc, is nothing mora than fighting, you put two persons inside a ring or cage to go money, inside the cage thwy will try to destroy eachother, that's fighting with some rules so this traslates to a sport.

MMA is a contact sport period.

Manny

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My way of view. A martial art is more than kicking and trowing punches, a martial art teach the person mora than that, MAeaches self respect and respect for the others, teachs order,loyalty,good manners and teach the techs to deliver punches,kicks,trows,etc.

MMA,UFC,Vale Todo,etc,etc, is nothing mora than fighting, you put two persons inside a ring or cage to go money, inside the cage thwy will try to destroy eachother, that's fighting with some rules so this traslates to a sport.

MMA is a contact sport period.

Manny

Sport yes, destoying each other no. No more than full contact karate, Muay Thai and Boxing do.
There's a lot of respect for each other and good sportsmanship in MMA, there has to be. It teaches you a lot more than 'just' fighting. Perhaps you have to be there and train in it to understand but it's no different from traditional martial arts.

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sport yes, destoying each other no. No more than full contact karate, Muay Thai and Boxing do.
There's a lot of respect for each other and good sportsmanship in MMA, there has to be. It teaches you a lot more than 'just' fighting. Perhaps you have to be there and train in it to understand but it's no different from traditional martial arts.

Well in sport TKD if you put a guy on the floor you don't continue the pounding, in karate too, even in box thai. I've seen a lot of MMA fights on TV where une guy hits the other sending it to the floor and then sits on the fallen guy and pound his head pretty visiusly.

MMA is a way more differente than traditional martial arts.

Manny

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well in sport TKD if you put a guy on the floor you don't continue the pounding, in karate too, even in box thai. I've seen a lot of MMA fights on TV where une guy hits the other sending it to the floor and then sits on the fallen guy and pound his head pretty visiusly.

MMA is a way more differente than traditional martial arts.

Manny

Well it's not actually that different and both people on the floor can hit each other, I've seen a KO from a guy on his back kicking up at a standing opponent. There are rules too about when you can hit and when you can't.
In full contact karate comps I've seen one person sweep the other then punch them when they are down, in fact many traditional martial arts teach this. I've seen this in TKD too btw.
I think you may have missed the point of MMA.

Latest Discussions