FRench Charity Attempts to 'Kidnap' Children

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
This caught my attention this morning as I was going to work.

A CHADIAN judge has laid kidnapping and other charges against 16 Europeans held over a charity's attempt to fly more than 100 children to France.

The charges included "kidnapping of minors", "swindling" and "complicity" in the aborted mission by charity Zoe's Ark to fly out the children, the prosecutor's office in the eastern Chad town of Abeche told AFP.

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,22672414-38195,00.html

Some officals in Chad are supposedly considering the use of anti-slavery laws in this case. I don't know about that, but something in this makes me think "White Man's Burden."

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
They intercepted Madonna's Christmas present? Or was that one Jolie's?

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
According to the articles French officials had already warned them they could get in legal trouble.

I can't fault their motives. But I can't blame the Chadian government for arresting them. A little prep work with the officials could have avoided a lot of problems. And spending the money on some sort of living facility and education for the kids in Chad might have been even better.

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
If you don't fix the problem that led you to believe that 100+ children need to be flown out of Chad, you haven't solved anything. It's like bailing out a rowboat without stopping to wonder where all the water is coming from.

Latest Discussions