Free-standing bags

Jagermeister

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Are these things any good for Muay Thai training? I've got some room in the basement of the four-flat I live in, but I doubt the landlord would be cool with a hanging heavy bag. What's your opinion of these, and are there any other suggestions for a setup that might work for my scenario? And is it best to order the bags unfilled to save money?

Thanks.

OP
Jagermeister

Jagermeister

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Another question: what's with these "Thai-style" bags? Are these preferred for Muay Thai training?

AdrenalineJunky

Black Belt
Reaction score
Jagermeister said:
Are these things any good for Muay Thai training? I've got some room in the basement of the four-flat I live in, but I doubt the landlord would be cool with a hanging heavy bag. What's your opinion of these, and are there any other suggestions for a setup that might work for my scenario?

Thanks.

Wanna hear something funny? I've used a million different hanging bags, I've used old crappy tires I got from the local tire guy for 20 bucks; heck, I've used 2x4s with foam pads glued and duct-taped around them. . .never used a stand-alone. I know. . .I'm an old-timer. My suggestion: Most of the stand-alones seem pretty expensive, more expensive than picking up a cheap hanging bag and a cheap stand. Most sporting goods places sell the stands for about $70-80 and you can get a cheap 40lb bag for $50-60. . .probably cheaper than the stand-alones. Then there's the issue of filling the base. If your land-lord doesn't want a bag hung in your basement, he probably doesn't want a base filled with water or sand in there, either. Certainly, a heavy bag is more reputable for Muay Thai; at least, that's what I hear. But, heck, go try one out and see if you like it. :asian:

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Are these things any good for Muay Thai training? I've got some room in the basement of the four-flat I live in, but I doubt the landlord would be cool with a hanging heavy bag. What's your opinion of these, and are there any other suggestions for a setup that might work for my scenario? And is it best to order the bags unfilled to save money?

Jagermeister

No matter what type of training equipment you get there will be something not perfect about it for training. Base filled bags don’t have the same action or move around as much as a hanging bag. Hanging bags can move around to much if you are wanting something to not move.

At our school we have both. The 4 foot heavy bag is great for hand work and knees and some kicking. The 6 ft bag is great for hand work and cut kicks (low leg kicks)
The base filled bags are great for repeated kicking because it doesn’t swing out of the way and returns quickly to its normal upright position. When I want to do repeated kicks (usually 500 kicks per leg) I much prefer the base filled. When wanting to work the bag and work at different timing and rhythm for punches, elbows, Knees and kicks I perform the hanging bags. All depends on what you will be working on. For speed drills punching and kicking I prefer the base bag. For action and movement I prefer the hanging bag. The hanging bag can be utilized for all if there is another person who can hold the bag movement however, if I have someone to hold the bag then I prefer using “thai pads”.

If you are able to hang a bag use a spring heavy enough to hold the bag without much sag. This will absorb the shock transmitted into the ceiling rafters.

As to the base filled bags most can be filled with water/and or sand. Water is a bit lighter than the sand if you are going to be moving the bag around. At our school the base is filled with sand and water, very heavy and doesn’t move much but makes the bag very stable.

Hope this helps.
Danny Terrell

OP
Jagermeister

Jagermeister

Blue Belt
Reaction score
But what do you think of these "Thai-style" bags?

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Jagermeister said:
But what do you think of these "Thai-style" bags?

The six foot bag is a "Thai-style' bag. As stated before great for cut kicks, knees, and whatever. Should hang with bottom approx 4-6 inches off the floor.

Danny Terrell

AdrenalineJunky

Black Belt
Reaction score
Jagermeister said:
Do you guys prefer this kind of bag?

Yes.
0908_md.gif
http://www.fairtexgear.com/html_documents/gear/gear_item.asp?p_id=105

Latest Discussions