For once the courts got it right....

Ping898

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070202....mBJcYPZvzwcF;_ylu=X3oDMTA2Z2szazkxBHNlYwN0bQ--

Geneticist sentenced for molesting girl

A world-renowned geneticist was sentenced Friday to 14 years in prison for molesting an employee's daughter who took martial arts classes at his home.

Many people, including a Nobel Prize winner, wrote letters in support of William French Anderson, Time magazine's runner-up for Man of the Year in 1995. But Judge Michael E. Pastor said he caused "incalculable" emotional damage to a victim he described as an insecure and trusting immigrant.
"Because of intellectual arrogance, he persisted and he got away with as much as he could," the judge said.

Anderson, 70, was convicted in July child molestation. He could have gotten 18 years behind bars.
"Roughly three years ago, I wanted to kill myself," she said. "I couldn't live with all the pain. ... He maliciously destroyed my world to fulfill his own sick pleasures."
The judge also ordered Anderson to pay her family about $52,000 in restitution for past therapy and cover the cost of any future treatment. He also imposed fines and fees of about $16,000.

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well, on the face of things, indeed right.

For discussion purposes only, I accept the media account as being accurate.

It would appear that a guilty verdict was returned in the face of a ridiculous defense and that a sizable sentence was imposed despite a number of prominent individuals in the molester's corner. A 14 year sentence is effectively a death sentence for this specific 70 year old monster.

But will the appeals courts get it "right"? Or will there be some newfound "right" of the accused, one never remotely imagined by Jefferson or Marshall, that will spring this pederast?

But did the legislature get it "right"? Are you folks really feeling safe over this sentencing system? Suppose the next monster in a factually comparable case is only 25 - under this sentencing scheme he'll be out at 39....... well capable of attacks on more children.... or a return visit to his initial victim. Do you know what your local sentencing guidelines are?

But will the parole/probation system get it "right"? Do you live in a state that allows these creatures out on parole? Early release maybe? What does your state law provide over victim testimony at parole hearings - and how active is your local DA is assisting this - and what's your parole board's track record?

But will the Governor and President get it "right"? With so many of the Illiteratti lining up behind this predator, might we see a pardon?

Several blocks from where I work, there is a run down apartment building housing, among others, over 30 of these released monsters.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, on the face of things, indeed right.

For discussion purposes only, I accept the media account as being accurate.

It would appear that a guilty verdict was returned in the face of a ridiculous defense and that a sizable sentence was imposed despite a number of prominent individuals in the molester's corner. A 14 year sentence is effectively a death sentence for this specific 70 year old monster.

But will the appeals courts get it "right"? Or will there be some newfound "right" of the accused, one never remotely imagined by Jefferson or Marshall, that will spring this pederast?

But did the legislature get it "right"? Are you folks really feeling safe over this sentencing system? Suppose the next monster in a factually comparable case is only 25 - under this sentencing scheme he'll be out at 39....... well capable of attacks on more children.... or a return visit to his initial victim. Do you know what your local sentencing guidelines are?

But will the parole/probation system get it "right"? Do you live in a state that allows these creatures out on parole? Early release maybe? What does your state law provide over victim testimony at parole hearings - and how active is your local DA is assisting this - and what's your parole board's track record?

But will the Governor and President get it "right"? With so many of the Illiteratti lining up behind this predator, might we see a pardon?

Several blocks from where I work, there is a run down apartment building housing, among others, over 30 of these released monsters.
Perhaps, perhaps not. We can only hope that he'll do the entire time and die in prison. I think the major point of the initial post was to simply point out that in THIS instance what should have been done was done when in so many other cases monsters like this are let go with merely a slap on the wrist or in even more perverse cases made out to be the victim themselves. Me, I have my own, private little hell I'd like to take pedaphiles to but, then, that might make me a little unpopular with a few folks for not being a caring and forgiving person and not taking into account the background/childhood/didn't get enough attention/wasn't breastfed as a child of the offender.

OP
Ping898

Ping898

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
The appeals court my change it all, but at least the fact that this man was "important" did not stop him from being sentenced to a lengthy term.