Clark Kent

<B>News Bot</B>
Reaction score
Sandatas Ng Pagkakataon
By Guro Dave Gould - Sat, 10 May 2008 20:10:49 GMT
Originally Posted at: FMATalk

====================

Hi Guys,

Thanks to everyone who contributed their experiences on the "Pilipino Warrior Arts" thread, very interesting comments from many.

My next question for you all is do you prefer the more traditional weapons of the PWA such as the Baraw, Garote and Itak? Or the numerous variations of improvised weapons of opportunity which can be easily supplemented for those classifications?

I like most enjoy to train the recognized traditional weapons with a special connection made to "Baraw" (knife) as it is the more realistic and feasible weapon choice for day to day carry. Even though I spend 70 percent of my time training "Baraw" I have to admit that I spend a strong majority of that time training with a chisel, screw-driver, ice-pick or the neck of a broken beer bottle.

As well when it comes to impact weapons although I enjoy training the more traditional "Garote" (Stick) I spend much more time training "Bato" (Rock). 1 or 2 medium sized rocks in your hands and the knowledge in how to adequately utilize them in imparting your deadly intent is simply something to be feared.

I`ll give an example: when I was training the R.O.K. Special Forces in Songnam, South Korea the training was very intense for them. We would train the traditional weapons that the Pilipino Warrior Arts had to offer but we would also spend alot of time familiarizing them with the more non-traditional impromptu weapons of opportunity. Up until then most of these guys had only experienced their own indigenous Tae-Kwon-Do, Hapkido and Kum-Do and were quite unfamiliar with anything else other than a little brazilian Ju-jitsu. I was one of the first to be brought into Korea by our own U.S. Special Forces to train R.O.K. Special Operations Soldiers in anything else other than their own indigenous disciplines. If any of you are familiar with the Korean mindset and loyalty to their own you will fully understand when I say that they were very difficult to impress and win over to another discipline.

At first I was only given audience with the more seasoned "Team Leaders" as they felt at best that they would only get "small things" with which they could use to add to and enhance what they already did as drawn from their own indigenous arts. But over the course of the first day it did not take long for these guys to understand that the Pilipino Warrior Arts stood on their own and they were quite impressed by the potential for combative capability that this discipline offered them. After weeks and months of training they were sold.

The R.O.K. Special Operations Soldiers were blown away by how deadly the knife was and through trial and error each found out that they could not just simply kick the knife out of my hand and when they tried they were all left to deal with the consequences of that poor decision. Impressed with the knife they wanted to move on to the empty hand portion of our Lameco Eskrima curriculum. This portion of the curriculum is what sold them to continue training the progression.

They would attack with full force drawing from Tae-Kwon-Do, Hapkido and Kum-Do and I would respond with Pilipino buto-buto (Bone to bone). At first I was giving everything that I had in executing painful limb and joint destructions on impact of their punches and kicks and they were feeling the pain so I backed down in respect. This is when the most respected "Team Leader" with the most juice wanted to put me through my paces.

He came in with a hard series of kicks which I would destroy with a combination of elbows, knees and punches to various joints before taking advantage of opportunities revealed to counter attack. Afer the first attack I noticed that my knuckles were bleeding as was my elbow and unbeknownst to me he was wearing hard plastic soccor pads on his shins and knees which were well hidden under his pants. Seeing that he had escalated the training I responded in like manner and excused myself for a moment.

In response to this discovery I calmly stepped outside, scanned my immediate environment and grabbed a brick which was lying on the ground and on my return back into the training facility I had him initiate his attack again, he started with a hard and fast high roundhouse to my head and after I met the brick with his shin it did not take long for him to feel an immense pain through the plastic shin guard into his bone! out of instinct he tried to counter with a side kick and I just positioned the corner of the brick into his ankle and the exchange was over. He fell like a sack of potatoes and once he recovered he was beyond convinced of what we had been training. He excused himself and went to his higher command and requested for more of his fellow R.O.K. Special Operations Soldiers to be released for training.

Over the years I would have a larger and larger turn out for this training with them. They naturally took to the training and seemed to prefer it more in the very non-traditional sense of weapon utilization over the more traditional weapon combinations. I stopped going to Korea in 2001 leaving Master Christopher Ricketts to be brought in to continue their training. Currently my Lameco Eskrima brother Ray Floro has picked up after my own and Master "Topes" contributions to the R.O.K. SF Soldiers.

What says you guys; Traditional weapons? Or weapons of opportunity? Which do you prefer training? And why?

Ciao.

Guro Dave Gould

Read More...

------------------------------------
FMATalk.com Post Bot - FMA Feed

Latest Discussions