Clark Kent

<B>News Bot</B>
Reaction score
Pilipino Warrior Arts...
By Guro Dave Gould - Mon, 14 Apr 2008 21:01:12 GMT
Originally Posted at: FMATalk

====================

Hi guys,

I hope that all is well with everyone and that we can move forward in quickly normalizing relations amongst all in our community.

My question to all of you is given the negative experiences that we have all witnessed here recently what is it that brought you to the Pilipino Warrior Arts in the first place? More importantly what in specific concerning these warrrior arts has made you stay?

I began training in the Martial Arts at the tender age of 12 in July of 1977. I have trained in numerous disciplines before being accepted into the Pilipino Warrior Art community and in all fairness politics are not just associated with the Pilipino Warrior Arts you will also find disagreement and bitter in fighting in all disciplines from Japanese, Chinese, Indonesian, Russian, Greek, Brazilian, American, polynesian, Thai, Cambodian, Malaysian, western boxing, French, etc... So even though this latest round of political turmoil which was experienced by all who participate here on this forum understand that politics are not a Martial or warrior condition but rather a human condition.

I came to the Pilipino Warrior Arts after joining the U.S. Armed Forces in 1982. After years of Karate when I was tested in actual bar fights I found myself being beaten easily by street fighters when attempting to use Karate. During each fight after being somewhat ineffective trying to kick and punch unskilled drunken bar room brawlers I would have to resort to street fighting myself inorder to keep from being killed by these guys.

I would get into a fight try and kick or sweep, be denied and have to resort to poking eyes, pulling hair, slamming heads into walls and using head butts in ordeer to meet the level of threat faced. This was a normal routine for me on week-ends. I went looking for something less formal and more street worthy. I began training Muay-Thai which lead me to Kali.

Within weeks of training Muay-Thai and spending my time mostly conditioning and sparring instead of doing countless Katas and forms I began to notice that when I would get into fights I was starting to use what I had trained; Elbows, down kicks, clenching, knees, head butts and various punches with effect and not have to resort to street brawling as I was forced to only a few weeks before.

This was great! I was using what I was training and it was working for me! Until street fighters evolved and instead of accepting defeat they would use an equalizer be it a knife, pool stick, chain, base ball bat or a small caliber .22 or .25 "Saturday Night Special". Which put me on the path to find sufficient weapons training. I came to Kali and within in a few months I had taken my training and adapted it to utilizing the most commonly found items which I would have access to in a bar-room environment.

I began training with billiard balls, the wooden billiard rack, bar-stools, ash trays, beer bottles (broken or intact), pool sticks and throwing darts. This worked well for me and eventually after getting in one too many fights I saw that fighting because of loose women, alcohol and raging hormones was useless and only hurt people needlesly so I grew up, matured and quit hanging out in these types of environment.

Then I went in pursuit of serious Pilipino Warrior Art training and the person that I am today is a direct by product of that lengthy search. In my life I have been in combat zones, numerous bar room brawls, senseless street fights and as a direct result of this I have been shot, stabbed, cut-up and all but left for dead. I am a firm believer that had it not been for my Pilipino Warrior Art training I would not be here right now and this is why I have stayed where I am. I know what works for me and what does not, not because someone told me so, or I read it in a book or I saw it in a video but because I have experienced these things and I have learned from my experiences.

I would not advise anyone to use my early experiences as an example of proper combative development, too many people have been hurt and I needlesly put my life in harms way for nothing more than pride and ego. If you are going to sacrifice do it for a worthy cause like defending life and country and not in the cold hard street to a hrdened street thug searching for his next "Booger" of heroin who does not care if you live or die.

I admire all of my teachers and utterly respect the large majority of them and even with all of the political fallout as demonstrated here on this forum as of late there is not another fighting discipline that I would dedicate my life to other tha the Pilipino Warrior Arts.

I am eager to hear of you guys experiences and read your comments on this topic of conversation. Go well guys, ciao.

Guro Dave Gould.

Read More...

------------------------------------
FMATalk.com Post Bot - FMA Feed

Latest Discussions