FMAT: My first month in Pekiti-Tirsia

Clark Kent

<B>News Bot</B>
Reaction score
My first month in Pekiti-Tirsia
By shinshin02 - Mon, 03 Mar 2008 07:43:00 GMT
Originally Posted at: FMATalk

====================

I can honestly say that after a full month of training in Pekiti-Tirsia, I am so pleased to that I stumbled onto Pekiti-Tirsia. Let me start off by explaining that I had no idea that there were so many systems/styles of Kali my experience concerning Filipino Martial Arts revolved around a friend of mine that use to practice JKD. He explained how effective Kali was so of course his opinion weighed heavily on my decision to consider Kali in general.

My Guro Dustin B. Denson is very knowledgeable, of course right he is the Guro, but he's also very patient which is a very good thing for me. We start each class by stretching and warming up and then go into our foot work, then we progress into what he has outlined for our class. No matter what we cover from basic foot work to Abecedario, he explains everything from concept, mechanics, to application.

Pekiti-Tirsia is so much more than what I expected because of it's emphasis on the blade. Initially I was just interested in kali to learn just hand to hand because I thought that was the most important aspect to any encounter, needless to say I was definitely mistaken. I am now under the understanding that I would rather train with/for the blade and never need it than to desperately need it one day and not have it.

Physically my first three weeks of class were exhausting, lmao, our warm-ups were tiring for me, but since I've incorporated our warm-ups and basic foot work to my daily exercise/practice I'm a little more use to it now but still far from where I would like to be. So typically I go over all our basic foot work, then do one hundred repetitions per hand of 1's & 2's with broken foot work keeping blade orientation in mind and then from there I practice what ever else we have just gone over.
As a whole I am very satisfied my only regret is that our classes are not longer, they're roughly an hour and forty-five minutes to two hours but damn time just seems to fly. From what I've read in comparison to other students I am very fortunate because our class meets three times a week and in my opinion is reasonable priced. So in a nut shell this is how my training is going.

Read More...

------------------------------------
FMATalk.com Post Bot - FMA Feed