FMAT: Me and my bent baston

Clark Kent

<B>News Bot</B>
Reaction score
Me and my bent baston
By Muad Dib - 12-16-2009 02:26 AM
Originally Posted at: FMATalk

====================

I'm a new convert. I've been a martial artist for a little over 30 years now, but I'm still such a noob to the FMA. I'm REALLY Loving it though.

I had a strange insight tonight as I was practicing some basic patterns with my bastons, so I thought I'd share it here and see if others have had similar experiences.

I'm cheap. Yes indeed!!! Learned it from my old man. He's doing well financially, but he can still pinch a nickle and make it bleed six pennies. So...when I finally decided that it was time to hand my instructor his "Loaner" bastons back and buy my own....I got some off of E-Bay.

Now, I'm not dissing E-Bay by any means! But ....well.......when I opened up my first pair of bastons when they came to me last February, I KNEW I'd gotten what I paid for! They're both the same length, and both 100% natural, so at least there's that. The first one I pulled out of the container was skinny! Don't know the exact diameter, but it's skinny and light. It's very straight though.
The other one is thick, but slightly curved at the back end and much more bent at the far end. (is that common at all? To have a bend baston?) The curve of the bends oppose though so it's like I'm holding a very flattened letter "S"

At first I was upset. But then I thought of some things:
1. You get what you pay for....and I did.
2. My instructor tells me all the time to train with "bastons of varying dimensions, weights and densities".

So....I simply worked with them daily. Over time I learned that my "S" shaped stick can deliver a very damaging blow due to it's sliiiiiight re-curve. I learned that once you get used to the angle....it really sinks into you. I now like using that curvy stick more than when I grab (end up with ;) ) one of my partners 'straight' sticks. I've worked with it so much, I'm quite fond of my deviant little rattans.

Is that common?

Read More...

------------------------------------
FMATalk.com Post Bot - FMA Feed

Latest Discussions