FMAT: Kelly Worden Seminar Review.

Clark Kent

<B>News Bot</B>
Reaction score
Kelly Worden Seminar Review.
By arnisador - Mon, 23 Oct 2006 00:57:52 GMT
Originally Posted at: FMATalk

====================

Kelly Worden was in Bedford, IN this weekend, hosted by Ryan Massette. I was only able to make the Friday evening session on Defensive Knife. I had to miss the Saturday sessions on Modern Arnis and on Renegade JKD, and the Sunday sessions on Modern Arnis and on the Travel Wrench. There was a good turn-out the night I was there, with people from various surrounding states.

The knife session focused on the importance of mobility, as we defended against a 6-7-low 6-low 7 series of attacks, first empty-hand and then with a blade of our own. He strongly emphasized turning off the line of the attack and the importance of being aware of what would happen when our blade met his arm in defense. We practiced defensive snap-cuts and a reverse grip as well. He frequently showed how a defense with the knife translated to an empty-hand defense and to one with the travel wrench, and occasionally compared itto the stick.

The best part for me was, apart from a few Professor stories, the insights he provided into why we do certain things we do, and his colorful stories to illustrate the importance of certain strategies. He had a lot of practical advice, including ways to minimize damage to the opponent in a self-defense scenario.

It was also good to see people from the Evansville group again, and to finally meet Dan McConnell (Mao) in person! He and I worked together for a while, then I worked with his cousin. I really enjoyed chatting with him.

Thanks to Mr. Massette for bringing Datu Worden to Indiana for us!

Read More...

------------------------------------
FMATalk.com Post Bot - FMA Feed

Latest Discussions