Clark Kent

<B>News Bot</B>
Reaction score
Ilustrisimo Concepts
By Sicilian - 01-30-2009 10:40 AM
Originally Posted at: FMATalk

====================

Hi Guys,

I'm compiling a list of Ilustrisimo concepts that I can use as a reference tool for learning. Being fairly new to training this art on a consistent basis (Did a couple of sessions back in '02 with a senior's son and got to spar with another senior who was based in Oz / sparred and trained 2x with Master Tups and Bruce in LA), I find it overwhelming. Since May, I've been training pretty consistently (thank God!) and have made a decision to make prioritize my training in KI versus Muay Thai (my love), Boxing (like it) and BJJ (my 1st love).

Here are some common principles that I've noticed: (Pls feel free to add anything or correct me.) Constructive criticism is welcome:

1. For the cutting motions (taga) and some parries, seems like the fulcrum (or pivot point) of the blade is always at the center.

2. For thrusts (tochada or whatever it's called) and other techniques like the "Boca de Lobo", the fulcrum is at the tip.

3. Wide movements are a definite taboo for the system.

4. The use of the "alive hand" is basically just an insert to offset your opponents centerline and put you in prime position to finish him off.

5. Protecting your weapon hand is a must. This is done by proper body alignment and posture.

6. The "Retirada" and "Elastico" Footwork buys you time to deliver a counter-attack with one count.

7. There is seldom any blade to blade contact in this system. Parries are done with either the flat or back side of the blade.

8. Counters are 1-count. The parry (defense) and counterstrike (offense) utilizes a single beat.

9. Using your peripheral vision cuts down on reaction time. (This really got me!)

Pls feel free to add anything else. Thank you.

Toby

Read More...

------------------------------------
FMATalk.com Post Bot - FMA Feed

Latest Discussions