Clark Kent

<B>News Bot</B>
Reaction score
Determining Seniority....
By Bob Hubbard - 01-08-2010 01:03 PM
Originally Posted at: FMATalk

====================

So, how do you determine seniority?

I was over at Tim Hartmans and one of the topics that came up is seniority in the arts.

From the various discussions I've seen, it seems there are only a few ways to decide this:
- Time in that art
- Time in all arts
- date of black belt rank in that art
- date of first black belt in any art.

So, would I (last rank blue, haven't trained since summer 2005) who started in 2001 be senior to someone who started after me but who is now a black belt? Is my wife (who has trained longer than I and holds a BB in kenpo, blue in Arnis) my senior even though I started Arnis before her and received my blue before she did? Would I be senior to an Arnis BB who started after me even though I don't hold an Arnis BB?

Whatta y'all think about all this?

(Before anyone asks, I'm using me, my wife for example purposes. I know who's in charge in that relationship. She lets me know it regularly. :D)

Read More...

------------------------------------
FMATalk.com Post Bot - FMA Feed

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My view is that within an organization or school, the head determines the seniority. However, at the end of the day, I determine who I consider to be my seniors and who I don't and that's that. There have been cases of people having less stripes than me that I considered my senior due to their skill and knowledge and their have also been those who have more stripes than me who I don't consider to be my senior. Of course, I am independent minded. :)

Guro Harold

Senior Master
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My view is that within an organization or school, the head determines the seniority. However, at the end of the day, I determine who I consider to be my seniors and who I don't and that's that. There have been cases of people having less stripes than me that I considered my senior due to their skill and knowledge and their have also been those who have more stripes than me who I don't consider to be my senior. Of course, I am independent minded. :)
Well said!

Latest Discussions