FMAT: Common questions but perhaps delivered in a different spirit...

Clark Kent

<B>News Bot</B>
Reaction score
Common questions but perhaps delivered in a different spirit...
By Jack Latorre - 03-14-2010 11:28 AM
Originally Posted at: FMATalk

====================

Greetings All--

Being a member of the forums, I've come to see that many forum members are instructors or practitioners in multiple Filipino Martial Arts.

My question to those of you who do in fact practice multiple FMA...what specific realizations have you learned about in your comparison of those said arts? What do you see in comparing how one art approaches combat as opposed to another art? What sort of conditions does one art address that perhaps the other art addresses differently? Is one art more heavily influenced by several founders...and how is that evident in that art? Citing the specific art and perhaps even the specific teacher would be helpful...

I do understand this question has been posed in various forms, but perhaps different answers will pop up with newer members here and if the question is posed somewhat differently. Also, my scope (as is anyone else's) is limited to what I've experienced and I hope to have us all contribute to a wider collective scope.

I am of the mind frame that there are more similarities than differences...as one sees in social psychology regarding people of differing cultural origin. However differences do exist and they exist for good reason, more often than not. And I see them when I am exposed to various arts of any geographical origin. As we all discover, there are reasons why a technique is designed one particular way rather than another, if you follow one particular system. But there are many sensible systems out there.

I am looking specifically at FMA...because that is my primary interest...but also the parallels can perhaps be drawn a bit more easily...maybe...

Respectfully,

Jack A. Latorre

Read More...

------------------------------------
FMATalk.com Post Bot - FMA Feed

Latest Discussions