FMAT: 360 Degrees of Striking Proficiency

Clark Kent

<B>News Bot</B>
Reaction score
360 Degrees of Striking Proficiency
By Guro Dave Gould - Sun, 01 Jun 2008 05:25:19 GMT
Originally Posted at: FMATalk

====================

As most of you know in Lameco Eskrima we have 12 variations of our Alphabeto-Abecedario (Basic Strikes). As well we strive to utilize these strikes in a non-telegraphic manner in delivering the strikes without announceing intent until the strike is well under way and enroute to the target of choice.

But on a more advanced level we forego the traditional strikes and strike fluidly out of a mobile 360 degree circle. Punong Guro Sulite used to teach us that in delivering ones strikes from a fluid 360 degree circle we have not 12 angles of striking but rather 360 points of initiation, counter and completion. As we evade attacks to the hands, head and body by evasively moving our weapons in a circular manner when provoked we are able to strike and counter with intention from that circle at any time that it becomes necessary without sacrificing speed, power, timing or announcing intent in the process.

I have found based on numerous sparrings with various people that it is harder for my opponents` to adapt and adjust to random striking regardless of where the tip of my weapon is from within the fluid circle as I can strike on available opportunity immediately with devastating effect once revealed to me. Since it is not normal to have no beginning and no end to ones method of striking this increases the difficulty for my opponent to adapt and adjust to the most immediate threats faced in combat.

As well with the tip of your weapon always facing out centerline violations are kept to a minimum and recovery measures are facilitated for the small amount of tme that center is violated when maneuvering. As well wth the tip of the weapon facing out while moving in a circle the distance between you and your opponent is automatically 50% breached requiring less distance to be traversed in attacking or counter attacking as soon as opportunity is revealed in real time.

Striking out of the fluid 360 degree circle goes well with the hand evasions that we train in Lameco Eskrima and when you master both you become very effective as you maximize gain while minimizing risk in the process.

Guro Dave Gould.

Read More...

------------------------------------
FMATalk.com Post Bot - FMA Feed

Latest Discussions