Favorite TV Shows (of All Time, Not Just Current)

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
I was wondering what kind of TV shows everyone likes. Old, new...doesn't matter. I am looking for something new to binge on.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Watching Dark Matter on Netflix right now. It's good... like a less awesome, but still fun Firefly.

Series of Unfortunate Events is available now on Netflix. It looks incredible and I can't wait to binge watch it.

Daredevil seasons 1 and 2 are terrific (season 1 is better). Luke Cage and Jessica Jones are both solid (with the edge to Jessica Jones). Looking forward to seeing Iron Fist in March.

The Last Kingdom is pretty good. Based on the Saxon books by Bernard Cornwell and set in the 9th century. I haven't looked, but it has a BBC feel to it.

Bob's Burgers is so friggin funny. Five seasons are on netlix, and I like them because they're a quick 22 minutes each episode.

I still watch Elementary every time it comes on. That's a network show and I'm not sure if it's available to binge.

Forged in Fire from the History Channel is fun to watch. It's a competition show, in the same format as Chopped (Food Network). The difference is that it's four bladesmiths making knives.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Loved the Lone Ranger and Superman as a kid. Loved (and still do, The Three Stooges)Twilight Zone. Loved the Man From U.N.C.L.E., 77 Sunset Strip, Maverick, Combat, The Gallant Men, Loved the original Hawaii 5-0. That might be my all time favorite. Liked Happy Days, Friends, Frazier.

Watched Survivor for over ten years, religiously. Swore I'd never watch reality TV, but then one of my students went on (Boston Rob) and I got hooked.

Now, my wife and I like Blacklist, The Big Bang Theory, Life in Pieces, Fargo, So You Think You Can Dance.

The best thing I've watched in the last ten years is the the British series Luthor.

Homeland, on Showtime, was superb in my opinion. Then they killed off Quinn. And in the manner they killed him - myself and a dozen other wrote Showtime swearing to never watch the show again. And never will.

Yeah....I like tv a little bit.

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
Favorite shows of late, Game of Thrones, Justified, have been binge-watching The Office.
Loved The Unit when it was on. And of course there's Seinfeld, M×A×S×H, the old black-and-white Andy Griffith Show never goes out of style, the Dick Van Dyke Show is a classic.......

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Babylon 5.
NYPD Blue.
Total Recall.
Hawai Five O (original series).
The Streets of San Francisco.
ST TOS.
ST DS9.
Luther.
Kung Fu.
Starsky and Hutch.
Deadwood.
Derrick.

And probably a few others. There is French cop show I used to watch on late night telly, but think of the name right now. Oh and Inspector Montalbano as a current one was really good.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was wondering what kind of TV shows everyone likes. Old, new...doesn't matter. I am looking for something new to binge on.
Let's see, among my favorites:
  • House, MD
  • Family Guy
  • Elementary
  • The BBC Marple/Poirot shows (with David Suchet and Joan Hickson)
  • Star Trek (any of them)
  • Firefly
  • Perry Mason
  • Cadfael (with Derek Jacobi - actually TV movies, but bingeable)
  • Criminal Minds

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Watching Dark Matter on Netflix right now. It's good... like a less awesome, but still fun Firefly.

Series of Unfortunate Events is available now on Netflix. It looks incredible and I can't wait to binge watch it.

Daredevil seasons 1 and 2 are terrific (season 1 is better). Luke Cage and Jessica Jones are both solid (with the edge to Jessica Jones). Looking forward to seeing Iron Fist in March.

The Last Kingdom is pretty good. Based on the Saxon books by Bernard Cornwell and set in the 9th century. I haven't looked, but it has a BBC feel to it.

Bob's Burgers is so friggin funny. Five seasons are on netlix, and I like them because they're a quick 22 minutes each episode.

I still watch Elementary every time it comes on. That's a network show and I'm not sure if it's available to binge.

Forged in Fire from the History Channel is fun to watch. It's a competition show, in the same format as Chopped (Food Network). The difference is that it's four bladesmiths making knives.
Elementary is available on Netflix.

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Wow I have a huge range of shows I love from old comedies, action shows, sci fi, dramas but here's a list no particular order

Only fools and horses
One foot in the grave
Dads army
Sherlock
Doctor Who
Gotham (only just started watching)
George and Mildred
Walker Texas ranger
The ultimate fighter
Doc Martin

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Californication
Entourage

I like the guys getting themselves in trouble over stupid things humor (I don't know how else to describe it).

The Office and Seinfeld are also favorites.

Oh yeah, Enter The Dojo on YouTube.

OP
wingchun100

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
House
Mystery Science Theater 3000
Law and Order (original)
Law and Order SVU
Enter the Dojo
Red vs. Blue (not really a "TV show," but funny)
All in the Family

I used to live Seinfeld when it was on, but I have tried watching it since it ended, and for some reason I personally feel it has not aged well.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Paladin
Are You Being Served?
One Foot In The Grave
The Young Ones
Ghost In The Shell anime series
FLCL anime series

OP
wingchun100

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
Damn, there was a show I loved that I realized I left off my list. Then I got on here, and forgot it again! Well, it'll come back to me.

In the meantime, anyone else?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Damn, there was a show I loved that I realized I left off my list. Then I got on here, and forgot it again! Well, it'll come back to me.

In the meantime, anyone else?
I've found many on others' lists that belong on my list, too. It seems there's some commonality among forum-posting martial artists.

OP
wingchun100

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
Maybe I should start a thread about other entertainment interests...see what else we might all have in common.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Coming back to this, I realize I didn't address the real question. I posted initially shows I currently watch and enjoy.

Best shows ever... well, that's different. Below are some of my all time favorites, based on how fondly I remember the show relative to my age at the time.

As a kid, a show I still remember is Star Blazers. Oh man. I would watch that every morning before school.

Firefly was a perfect blend of action, humor and organic dialogue.

Game of thrones.
Vikings.
I do still love Elementary.
I loved the Great British Baking Show and now also love the American version.
Forged in fire. It's awesome. Competition? Check. Nerdy? Check. Fire? Check.
Sherlock is great with cumberbatch.
Roots original and remake
Six million dollar man. I still have my membership certificte to the Six Million Dollar Man Bionic Action Club. The episodes where he fought Bigfoot are epic.

Last edited:

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
TV... shoot. I totally date myself on TV shows, and I'm not so sure that you even can binge-watch these.

Miami Vice
A-Team
Sanford & Son
Magnum P.I.

... see? Dated.My wife is a huge TV person, she's currently on Goliath. Reminds me too much of work.

Latest Discussions