Favorite Compact handgun...

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
At the moment, my smallest handgun is a Glock 19 and I don't consider that a pocket gun. However, my next handgun purchase will be a S&W J-frame revolver (or equivalent). My reasons for this are that they're lightweight, easy to hide in a pocket or in the waistband, and by using a revolver you can actually shoot though the pocket in a desperate situation. They're also extremely reliable. My other "pick" for a pocket-gun would be something like the Kel-tec P11 or baby-Glock because of the small size, light weight, and "full-size" capacity.

dearnis.com

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Smith J frame is the standard. I use a p32 when going very compact. The thing to remember is that a pocket gun is what you carry only to avoid not carrying; it can not and will not take the place of a primary sidearm, even a compact primary sidearm.

OP
Cruentus

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
kenpotex said:
At the moment, my smallest handgun is a Glock 19 and I don't consider that a pocket gun. However, my next handgun purchase will be a S&W J-frame revolver (or equivalent). My reasons for this are that they're lightweight, easy to hide in a pocket or in the waistband, and by using a revolver you can actually shoot though the pocket in a desperate situation. They're also extremely reliable. My other "pick" for a pocket-gun would be something like the Kel-tec P11 or baby-Glock because of the small size, light weight, and "full-size" capacity.

When you say "baby Glock," do you mean Glock 26 or 27?

TonyU

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I don't consider the Glock 26 or 27 pocket guns. I think they are too big, but if it works for you more power to you. I just don't have pockets that big.

I personaly don't carry pocket guns. Even off duty I carry either my G23 or my Kimber Warrior. The are easily concealable for me, even with shorts.

I am in the process of purchasing a new Kimber which I will be carrying on a regular basis also.

BUT, I do agree that S&W make some good revolvers for pocket and/or back up guns. Can't go wrong there.
For backup I carry a Colt Agent I got my hands on many years ago. I've been wanting to purchase an S&W, but just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
S&W lightweight J-frame (not the all-steel 60 or 640). I prefer Speer's new Gold Dot for the shorter barrel guns in these (.38 Special +P). There's really nothing to be gained by going with a full house .357 magnum load from a 1 7/8" barrel.

These fit in a Desantis Nemesis pocket holster just fine, and in a pair of dress shorts, the gun all but disappears.

I also like the Kel-Tec P3-AT, stoked with 102 grain Remington Golden Saber BJHP cartridges. Reliable, and despite its very light weight, the recoil isn't too horrible.

A distant third was the Beretta Tomcat .32 ACP pistol. I loaded mine with Silvertips, and the gun was accurate enough at a distance of 15 yards. Reliable, and I would have felt confident enough with it.

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
Tulisan said:
When you say "baby Glock," do you mean Glock 26 or 27?
Yep! And the 33 (.357 sig) and 28 (.380) also fit into this category (but the .380 models are not marketed in the US).

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sig P-230 or the newer P-232..

arnisandyz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
if I were to buy a "pocket gun" it would be Kahr PM9. Its a thin single stack 9mm. Decent power in a .380 sized package.

If you carry strongside in a good concealment holster its actually more comfy and readily available than front pocket carry (unless your sitting). My subcompact for everyday carry is a Springfield XD9SC. If I use 40SW mags from the 40SC I can fit 13+1 in a small package (although NOT a pocket gun). The XD subcompacts and Baby Glocks are great in between guns. Not to small and not to big.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
arnisandyz said:
If you carry strongside in a good concealment holster its actually more comfy and readily available than front pocket carry (unless your sitting).
I strongly agree here. Most of the time, I'll carry a Glock 23 (mid size) in an OWB Desantis mini-slide, that disappears underneath an untucked shirt. The only times I actually go with pocket carry is when I must have a tucked shirt, and can't wear an overgarmet, which is a rare thing.

Connovar

Green Belt
Reaction score
I prefer a S & W Scandium frame 357 loaded with 357 Glaser safety slugs. A crimson trace laser is built into the grip. This gives me very light wt, a hard hitting caliber with decreased risk of missed rounds penetrating nearby structures. The crimson trace gives good low light shooting ability and also help with point shooting. The hammerless design makes it easy to carry and pull from a pocket. Being a revolver it even can be repetitively while still an pocket and not jam. Most of all, its small size and very light wt (lighter than any automatic of comparable caliber) means it can be dropped in coat pocket going out the door and is never a hastle to wear or carry thus I dont leave it behind!

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Seig bought the mini firestorm for me.. but I absolutely Hate it.. it does kick like a mule and unless you know it's going to do it.. well gee I woulda shot out the flock of birds overhead whilst aiming straight ahead...

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
arnisandyz said:
if I were to buy a "pocket gun" it would be Kahr PM9. Its a thin single stack 9mm. Decent power in a .380 sized package.

I tested one of those at a range last month. Yuck. I'm used to full size pistols, that single stack felt too thin in my hand and I had to adjust my grip. My groups were OK, but adjusting from the Glock reset to the Kahr action caused some issues. If I did carry concealed (which I don't) I'd much prefer the baby Glocks to it, though I do admit the two aren't really in the same class.

Lamont

arnisandyz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Blindside said:
I tested one of those at a range last month. Yuck. I'm used to full size pistols, that single stack felt too thin in my hand and I had to adjust my grip. My groups were OK, but adjusting from the Glock reset to the Kahr action caused some issues. If I did carry concealed (which I don't) I'd much prefer the baby Glocks to it, though I do admit the two aren't really in the same class.

Lamont

It is what it is. I prefer my XD sub to the Kahr as well. IF I had to carry a small gun in the front pocket the Kahr would be much more comfortable than my XD. The XD and Glocks are just too fat for me for this mode of carry (as well as ankle carry). The XD subs/Baby Glocks are basically small service sized guns that are easily concealed in a good holster. The kahr/kel-tec/38snubs are hideaway backup guns IMHO...as you mentioned, in a different class.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
Tulisan said:
What is your favorite compact handgun (Something that you could fit in your pocket) and why?

:2pistols:
During the winter, I sometimes carry my Glock 27 in my coat pocket. I also have a .32 Kel Tec with a pocket clip that I carry from time to time (though, I don't have faith in .32 as a man stopper). Word to the wise, though, if you carry something like the G27 in a coat pocket....I obviously don't have a round chambered.

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
sgtmac_46 said:
Word to the wise, though, if you carry something like the G27 in a coat pocket....I obviously don't have a round chambered.
Just out of curiosity, is this the way you carry or do you use a pocket holster? If you use a pocket holster you would still be able to keep a round in the chamber.

OP
Cruentus

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
My new favorite is my Glock 30. That goes everywhere with me now.

Just out of curiosity, is this the way you carry or do you use a pocket holster? If you use a pocket holster you would still be able to keep a round in the chamber.

I am thinking that you can be chambered just as long as you had something to guard the trigger and prevent an accidental discharge...no?

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
Tulisan said:
My new favorite is my Glock 30. That goes everywhere with me now.

I am thinking that you can be chambered just as long as you had something to guard the trigger and prevent an accidental discharge...no?
my point exactly, the holster would help prevent an AD.

Latest Discussions