Favorite brand of knife

ppko

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
What would be the brand of choice of knife that you would use in a combat situation. Mine would be SOG, too many brands to do a survey.

arnisandyz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Depends on the "combat situation." Out in the woods I'd have my bolo (no brand) or valiant golok, which I wouldn't have in the street. If I already know I'm going to be in a combat situation I'm not going to rely on a small folder but would rather have a "combat" type knife like a Gryphon terzuala or even a Gerber Applegate or Mark II or a good old K-bar. On the street I'll have an Emerson or Benchmade.

If I knew i was going to be in a "combat situation" the knife would be a backup to a gun in all the the above.

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
kershaw, spyderco, benchmade for everyday
kabar, cold steel for woodscraft

OP
ppko

ppko

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Tulisan said:
Depends on what you mean by "combat."

The circumstance would dictate which knife or brand I'd prefer...

Paul Janulis
Give me your different versions of cambat and the knife that you would use:)

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
From your thread in the knife forum :)

O.K...

Street: My EDC, which is the spyderco persian (folder).

Duel: Bagwell Bowie

Combat: Not sure yet. Sog does make a great knife. The guys I have trained like the Recon Tanto from Cold Steel because they have identical trainers, and it is fairly inexpensive. I like my traditional Marine Ka-bar, but I could use a better handle for combat, even though the handle is great for utility. I'll have to get back to you on this one...

Word up...

Paul Janulis

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
O.K...thought about Combat as in 'war' more...

I'd have to say I'd have to say Bagwell bowie for that too, except the plainsman for the field; I'd bring the fortress or midnight to the duel... :duel:

Oh...and you guys are throwing out brand names and that's cool and all...but what model, dudes? :ultracool

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Tulisan said:
Oh...and you guys are throwing out brand names and that's cool and all...but what model, dudes? :ultracool

Kershaw Leek; Spyderco Gunting, Civilian; Benchmade just about anything.

Cold Steel Kuks; Kabar standard rubber grip, semi-serraded black painted blade.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
dearnis.com said:
the one that is handy.....

I agree with this statement.

Although, what I carry, when I carry is the Emerson CQC7-BW. The other companies mentioned make good blades as well yet, I found that this particular blade has a handle that my hand fits on and I can actually use if needed. I also carry the Emerson CQC7 - Trainer.

As to combat, meaning I am goind to be fighting sword and dagger against someone else with other sharp weapons, I like my 15 3/4 " dagger with a 10 1/2 " full tang blade made by Koeger knives. I would use this in the off hand. And yes I do train with it and my other live blades. It teaches edge awareness and understanding and recovery time and techniques of the larger blades.

:asian:

Andrew Evans

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I prefer Benchmade for everyday carry. As for what model, it depends on the state I'm in. I feel that it is important to try and stay legal.

Kansas allows a 4-inch blade. So one can go with the Benchmade MC Henry & Williams Model 710 with M2 Steel BT2 Coated ComboEdge Blade.

Colorado allows a 3 1/2-inch blade. A Benchmade Griptillian with BT2 Coated ComboEdge Blade fits their legal requirements.

Now for states that require less than 3 1/2, I'll just carry a claw hammer...

Latest Discussions