EP revisited.

Big Pat

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I would like to share this from Mr. Bob Orland's book, Martial Arts America-A Western approach to the Eastern Arts. "A few years before he passed away, I was invited to an Ed Parker seminar by one of his black belts. I was a few minutes late arriving, and the seminar had already begun. On entering the training area, I was promptly and politely asked to leave because the seminar was open only to Parker black belts. Before the gentleman who invited me could speak up, Mr. Parker said, "No, let him stay." I have never been a student of Ed Parker, but rarely have I felt more welcome at any martial art event than I did that day.
During the seminar Mr. Parker asked if anyone knew the technique where someone grabs your wrist and you bring your assailant to his knees by pinning his fingers to your wrist and rotating your hand over his wrist. No one answered , so I raised my hand. Mr. Parker was only about three feet from me, and, as quick as a flash he grabbed my wrist and said, "Good. Do it." Without a second's hesitation I clamped on to his hand and brought him convincingly to his knees. ( I was not about to insult the man by treating him as anything less than what he really was-a martial arts master.) Every black belt in the place (we were all in a line) leaned forward with a look of shock. On seeing their faces I just knew that I was dead. I could see it; death at the hands of twenty black belts. Instead, the ever gracious Ed Parker looked up and with an approving grin said, "Good job. Now, let's see..." I can't remember what he said after that; I was too busy thanking God for sparing my miserable life.
Frankly, I don't remember a single technique from that afternoon session. Nor do I recall seeing Parker's blinding speed or some fascinating movement. I am sure both were there in abundance. I simply cannot recall them. However, one thing I will never forget was his approving grin-the man actually enjoyed the contact. Ed Parker was a real martial artist and a true master of his art."

I always enjoy reading that about Mr. Parker.

EKP RIP
Big Pat

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Many miss him. Still. If you have ever had the pleasure of sharing the mat with him, you will always remember the authority, kindness and patience of his presence. Like a bear who never has to growl to assert its space...you just knew that behind the smile lived a clever, dangerous, wicked quick mind who would wish you nothing but the best.

One of the most interesting sensations to feel both truly welcomed, and aware of the thin line at the same time.

Seabrook

Black Belt
Reaction score
I remember first meeting Ed Parker at the Canadian Internationals martial arts tournament in my hometown of London, Ontario in April of 1989. I was a brown belt at the time.

I went up to him to introduce myself, thinking he would merely shake my hand, say "hello" and walk away. As it turned out, he talked to me for about 10 minutes about kenpo and gave me many words of encouragment for my future training.

Simon Curran

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I can only wish somebody invents a time machine some time soon, because I missed the oportunity to meet Mr Parker...

Shodan

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I, too, missed my opportunity to meet Mr. Parker- but would have loved to. From all I've read, he was a wonderful, kind and very intelligent man.

Thank you for posting this story- I love reading about Mr. Parker too.

:asian: :karate:

Klondike93

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't know if it's the same one, but the only time I ever got to meet Mr. Parker was at a seminar here in Denver and Bob Orlando was there. I do remember him asking lots of questions that seemed to preterb some but not Mr. Parker, he answered them all. I don't remember much about the seminar, nor if he did that with Mr. Orlando, I was in such awe to actually get to meet him my mind draws blanks. The only question I could think to ask at the time was what it was like to know Bruce Lee, not a one about Kenpo, if only I'd known.

:popcorn:

Latest Discussions