Endurance Training in Ninpo

heretic888

Senior Master
Reaction score
From the 'Makiwara' thread:

Originally Posted by heretic888
That being said, and since it was brought up, what is everyone's general take on endurance training in their experiences of Ninpo??

Originally Posted by Don Roley
But as a quick answer, take a look at how much Hatsumi walks. He does not lift weights, does not look buff, but he can keep going even when college age students are huffing and puffing.

Take the stairs, go swimiming and walk instead of driving when you can. It is all good. And it can help you a lot when you are running from an attacker. That is your first choice rather than fight, isn't it?

Have fun. Laterz. :asian:

G

Genin Andrew

good to see you made this thread heretic.

I feel endurance is an importnat thing but like don has mentioned previously,there is no need to go over the top,buff yourself up and lift heavy things.Sure all that stuff has its rewards but simple walking and light jogs for long distances and concentrating on how much your cardio vascular system can handle! by the way,as far as strength training goes,i'm not really into big weights and stuff,i think exercizes using your own bodyweight are best,
ie: pushups,situps,chin ups,various heaves and dips.If your someone like me who weighs 80kg or more?why not use your bodyweight?

K

Kokoro

Genin Andrew said:
If your someone like me who weighs 80kg or more?why not use your bodyweight?
From my perspective as someone who weighs more than 80kg, the reason is it is too easy to rely on size and strength/ weight and at some stage this is either going to fail, i.e. age catches up, or the relization that there are bigger and stronger people out there and if all you rely on is bodyweight there a nasty shock waiting around the corner.

The flip side is if you train your body for technique, and not using just bodyweight then you do not have a reliance on it, and hence can continue training for a long time.

As with everything there is a time and place, if technique is right and flow and distance is right and then combined with bodyweight, it make a nice position to be in :)

E

Elizium

People who are buffed up may be strong, but they too have as much weakness as you and I. Even the big people that have more weight than speed have a hard time trying to catch up without breathing heavy. So muscle and speed can be good, but to level the game, you have to think along the points of where the weakness is to gain your goals.

F

Firona

Just thought I would add my part in the endurance converstion. From my point of view, the pool is your friend. A 5' deep pool is all you need for endurance. Consider this: when swimming you combine the natural resistance of the water with the use of almost every bodily muscle while, at the same time, you are using regular breathing or holding your breath. Simply treading water can be enough to boost stamina as well, and there is no impact to water training so us flat-footed people can avoid the old running routine. Finally, as icing on the cake, practicing a MA under the water add resistance to your movements. Water rules! hehe

Shogun

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
People who are buffed up may be strong, but they too have as much weakness as you and I. Even the big people that have more weight than speed have a hard time trying to catch up without breathing heavy. So muscle and speed can be good, but to level the game, you have to think along the points of where the weakness is to gain your goals.
True. Big strong people have several things to be careful of. there is a fine line in flexibility, strength, and endurance. if you have more than the other, it seems like it has a rock, paper, scizzors effect.

Latest Discussions