End of the Preliminaries

Davejlaw

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Well, that's it for the first round of fights on TUF. With last night's fight it ended with a whimper and not a bang. I thought that fight was terrible and that neither Matt Hamill or tattoo guy (forgot his name) looked good at all. Lots of respect to both guys doing the show and getting into the octogon. Those two guys looked really sharp in practice but not so good in the actual match. Matt looked injured and gun shy and the other guy just stunk it up (he looked great in the pre-fight training and confident too) Let's hope for some great matches in the semis!

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
is it just me or did the deaf guy do a better job of listening to his corner.

OP
D

Davejlaw

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I think it seemed that way because the other guy wasn't listening to Shamrock AT ALL. I don't like Shamrock as a coach or fighter but he was shouting very sensible advice to his guy and was being ignored. How many times did Shamrock yell to the guy to throw his knees. I really thought that guy with all his streetfighting experience would not throw his gameplan out the window once he ate some jabs. Matt kept his plan of standing up the whole time intact throughout the fight, which must have been hard for a wrestler to resist going to the mat.

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
It just have been just as difficult for the JJ guy to keep standing up as well. My question is, once Shamrock figured out that the wrestler didn;t want to go to the floor, why not take him there! It's your fighter's best place to be, and teh other guy clearly didn;t want to be there. So why NOT??? IDIOT! they deserved the loss. Team ortiz did not deserve the win, but they couldn't both lose.

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
DavidCC said:
It just have been just as difficult for the JJ guy to keep standing up as well. My question is, once Shamrock figured out that the wrestler didn;t want to go to the floor, why not take him there!
I'm betting they figured that his takedown defense would be better than tattoo guy's takedown ability. Can't beleive they described Tate's striking as terrible then put these two up. (At least Tate never dropped his head and swung blindly.)

One gets the feeling that Ginger Ninja is unliked. His "boring and really unimpressive, rung rust choked" fight was better than this one.

OP
D

Davejlaw

Orange Belt
Reaction score
What really surprised me was that the guy did keep dropping his head and swinging blindly. I'm no MMA fighter by any means but this show shouldn't have anyone who does that on it. That is a very ugly habit for someone who aspires to be a professional fighter.

Latest Discussions