Empty Tea Cup

K

Knifehand

"A learned man once went to visit a Zen Teacher to inquire about Zen. As the Zen teacher talked, the learned man frequently interrupted to express his own opinion about this or that.
Finally, the Zen Teacher stopped talking and began to serve tea to the learned man. he poured the cup full, then kept pouring until the cup overflowed.
"Stop," said the learned man. "The cup is full, no more can be poured in."
"Like this cup, you are full of your own opinions," replied the Zen Teacher. "If you do not first empty your cup, how can you taste my cup of tea?"

- One of Bruce Lee's old teachers. an excerpt from "Striking Thoughts - Wisdom for daily living."

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've heard this story and other variations quite a few times but it's always good to hear again. It's always good to keep the point of the story in mind whether it be relation to martial arts or other aspects of your life.

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's a great story to a point. Too many use it as an excuse to not listen at all.

OP
K

Knifehand

Marginal said:
It's a great story to a point. Too many use it as an excuse to not listen at all.
I don't see how. I posted this because people are too unwilling to see other sides of issues. Integrity (generally defined) as doing in private what you do in public. So if you advocate an open mind at your MA school, and come on this forum and bash people, you are without integrity. Integrity and discipline go hand in hand, you cannot truely have one without the other.

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
Knifehand said:
I don't see how. I posted this because people are too unwilling to see other sides of issues. Integrity (generally defined) as doing in private what you do in public. So if you advocate an open mind at your MA school, and come on this forum and bash people, you are without integrity. Integrity and discipline go hand in hand, you cannot truely have one without the other.
The point of the story was basically, if you're going to learn, be prepared to listen to what the instructor has to say as long as you are under that instructor. You're welcome to come to your own conclusions later, but while you're actively seeking out someone's time and asking them to teach you what they know, you have to keep an open mind and actually sit down and listen first without trying to map your own preconceptions and judgements on what's being presented.

Too many people seem bent on using the tale as a demand for their instructors etc to keep an open mind rather than as something the student should ever attempt to observe. The instructor's the one pouring the tea. If you're saying, "Whoa man, empty your cup!" to excuse your inability or unwillingness to actually learn in any given system because you know better...

You have not emptied your cup.

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Good point, some people will take anything and use it to justify their actions/beliefs/etc...

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
It depends if you like, or dont like, that certain type of tea. But sometimes people like to mix tea for a different perspective. Or maybe overflow the cup for a different study? Or perhaps someone's cup is larger than another? Or perhaps don't bother pouring because you dont like tea?

Hmmnnn

Latest Discussions