Educate me on style differences

chrissyp

Green Belt
Reaction score
So i'm a Shotokan stylist, and I'm having trouble finding a new shotokan school in my area to continue my training.

The only thing that's close is Shori ryu (Did I spell that right?). I was wonder how similar different is it from Shotokan?

And can someone also explain the differences between Goju and Shotokan? Ty!

Mitlov

Purple Belt
Reaction score
The differences in the between Shorin-Ryu, Goju-Ryu, and Shotokan are, in the grand scheme of things, going to be relatively small. There's going to be a different set of kata for each, and some different details on stance-work, etc, and some slightly different emphases in terms of strategy and principles and mechanics. But in the grand scheme of things, the differences we're talking about are like comparing Spanish and Portuguese. Yes they're different languages, but compared to Arabic or Chinese, they're still extremely similar. It's going to feel much more familiar going from Shotokan to Shorin-Ryu or Goju-Ryu than, say, going from Shotokan to Olympic Taekwondo, or from Shotokan to BJJ.

Both Shorin-Ryu and Goju-Ryu are Okinawan Karate, and so a key difference between them and Shotokan is the Kendo influence in Shotokan (the heavy emphasis on longer-distance strikes and one-shot-one-kill) is not as present in the Okinawan styles. They tend to emphasize a bit more closer range, a bit more circular techniques. But like I said, we're talking about a shift in emphasis more than a completely different set of mechanics and philosophy.

Noah_Legel

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Shotokan evolved from Shorin-Ryu, essentially, so you will find a lot of similarities. The differences generally tend to be that the stances are shorter/higher in Shorin-Ryu, and things are done in a more relaxed fashion.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Historical backgrounds aside, it might depend on perspective. And it also might have to do with whether you're training either, or fighting against either.

When a practitioner of either Art is trying to hit you - they're trying to hit you. And vice versa.

And a lot has to do with different dojos that teach the same style. Dojos are like snowflakes and restaurants.

MI_martialist

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Historical backgrounds aside, it might depend on perspective. And it also might have to do with whether you're training either, or fighting against either.

When a practitioner of either Art is trying to hit you - they're trying to hit you. And vice versa.

And a lot has to do with different dojos that teach the same style. Dojos are like snowflakes and restaurants.

Preferences...

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
PGSmith...is there a reason you dislike my post?
Yes actually. I thought it was superfluous and unhelpful, and seemed to me to be aimed at intimating your superior knowledge level rather than attempting to help the OP with their question. I figured disliking it was sufficient, but since you asked ...

MI_martialist

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Yes actually. I thought it was superfluous and unhelpful, and seemed to me to be aimed at intimating your superior knowledge level rather than attempting to help the OP with their question. I figured disliking it was sufficient, but since you asked ...

At the core, am I not correct? They do this, we do that...why? because someone, somewhere preferred one way over another. The question is why is one way preferred over another? That is the interesting question!

Mitlov

Purple Belt
Reaction score
At the core, am I not correct? They do this, we do that...why? because someone, somewhere preferred one way over another. The question is why is one way preferred over another? That is the interesting question!

Because this is a discussion board and "preferences" is a mere tautology that doesn't give the OP any useful information and also doesn't lead to interesting and informative discussion.

The difference between ANY two martial arts is "preferences." The statement isn't technically wrong, just useless.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I find little difference between any styles of punching and kicking.

Yokozuna514

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Goju Ryu is as close to Kyokushin as Okinawa karate gets so some dojo’s do not hold back when sparring. Some will use a Kyokushin continuous free sparring format but i can’t give you a percentage as there are also Goju schools that focus on the ‘ju’ or soft aspect while some will focus on the ‘Go’ aspect which means hard aspect of the art.

Shorin Ryu and Shotokan schools are typically non contact point fighting style schools.

As some have already said, katas are very similar with differences being minor in the overall scheme of things.

All that being said i would try a few free classes and decide what suits you best.

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Goju Ryu uses a different fighting stance then Shotokan. Also, Goju Ryu uses the Sanchin stance which to the best of my knowledge Shotokan does not use. Goju Ryu also mixes elements of both hard and soft whereas I believe Shotokan only focuses on hard style techniques.

DaveB

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Goju Ryu uses a different fighting stance then Shotokan. Also, Goju Ryu uses the Sanchin stance which to the best of my knowledge Shotokan does not use. Goju Ryu also mixes elements of both hard and soft whereas I believe Shotokan only focuses on hard style techniques.

Shotokan does employ sanchin dachi but it's usually limited to a few kata.

mrt2

Brown Belt
Reaction score
So i'm a Shotokan stylist, and I'm having trouble finding a new shotokan school in my area to continue my training.

The only thing that's close is Shori ryu (Did I spell that right?). I was wonder how similar different is it from Shotokan?

Another thing to consider if you have a background in Shotokan is Korean Tang Soo Do, which, despite the protestations of some, seems to be based on Shotokan, and practices similar, and in many cases the same forms.