Eddie Bravo vs Royler Gracie

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I was disappointed with the result of a draw. In such a high profile match I believe the promoters should have come up with a system where there would be no draw. Personally, I hate watching sporting events where it ends in a draw. I was disappointed overall!

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was disappointed with the result of a draw. In such a high profile match I believe the promoters should have come up with a system where there would be no draw. Personally, I hate watching sporting events where it ends in a draw. I was disappointed overall!

Especially since it pretty much wasn't a draw. :lfao:

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it wasn't submission only, Eddie would of won, he really took it to Royler. But you have to give Royler some respect too, he got out of some really bad positions. At age 48, he's still great.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I watched the match and was really impressed with Eddie's performance. He pretty much had control the match from start to finish, IMO. Royler threatened a couple of times, but Eddie had the lockdown on the leg and he used that to control pretty much everything. Even when it looked like Eddie was getting swept, he just repositioned Royler and put him in a better position. The submission at the end was NASTY. I thought we were going to see Royler's knee explode, but he grabbed Eddie's gi pants and was able to ride out until the end.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I watched the match and was really impressed with Eddie's performance. He pretty much had control the match from start to finish, IMO. Royler threatened a couple of times, but Eddie had the lockdown on the leg and he used that to control pretty much everything. Even when it looked like Eddie was getting swept, he just repositioned Royler and put him in a better position. The submission at the end was NASTY. I thought we were going to see Royler's knee explode, but he grabbed Eddie's gi pants and was able to ride out until the end.
In no-gi competitions, it's against the rules to grab clothing. I'm not sure what the rules were for this, but grabbing the gi pants was, IMO, bad form if it wasn't specifically against the rules.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Especially since it pretty much wasn't a draw. :lfao:

Absolutely!!!

I can remember back in the day watching a lot of NHL Hockey. Many of the games I watched went to a draw. After awhile I stopped watching NHL Hockey completely. If they play to a potential draw in any sport I really do not want to waste my time. Life is to short to invest your time in some thing without a result of meaning. Just my take!

OP
Stickgrappler

Stickgrappler

Purple Belt
Reaction score
the spirit of the event is pure jiujitsu - sub only. 20 mins. no ref, if no sub, then it's a draw. not sure about grabbing clothing though.

epic match. funny my friends said prior to match if it was points, they thought royler would win.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
the spirit of the event is pure jiujitsu - sub only. 20 mins. no ref, if no sub, then it's a draw. not sure about grabbing clothing though.

epic match. funny my friends said prior to match if it was points, they thought royler would win.

This is the problem with points. It's so subjective. I like the sub only format and I appreciate the decision. Yes, it looked like Eddie was in control the whole time, but we also need to give Royler some credit for just rolling with all of those attacks and making it to the end. Royler shrugged Eddie off his back and neutralized a lot of stuff with technique and toughness. I guess I have a lot of appreciation for the defensive aspects of jujutsu as well.

OP
Stickgrappler

Stickgrappler

Purple Belt
Reaction score
This is the problem with points. It's so subjective. I like the sub only format and I appreciate the decision. Yes, it looked like Eddie was in control the whole time, but we also need to give Royler some credit for just rolling with all of those attacks and making it to the end. Royler shrugged Eddie off his back and neutralized a lot of stuff with technique and toughness. I guess I have a lot of appreciation for the defensive aspects of jujutsu as well.

Yes, most definitely both were warriors. The fans won that match!

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
There was a lot of wrangling over what Eddie would wear. He likes the gi pants because it helps when controlling with the legs. When they drew up the initial contracts for M3, the Gracies made him agree that he would not decide NOT to wear the pants at the last minute. At one point EB was considering not wearing the pants because the contract also stipulated the RG COULD grab the pants. Lawyers got involved. The whole thing almost was scrapped. So EB relented, wore the pants, and RG was allowed to grab them.

Here is Eddie Bravo's breakdown of the match:

Last edited by a moderator:

nordin

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Congrats. to both gentlemen. Pretty interesting fight. BTW It is not only Royler Gracie who at age of 48 is veteran for competition, but also Eddie who is less then only 4 years younger then him.

Few things. Yes if they agreed on sub only win then this was a draw. Rules are rules.
What I can't stand is how quickly part of fighting and grappling community changed their initial statements. Most often I noticed that aggressive and passive aggressive commentators and posters on the Internet said that Eddie's win was a fluke. I understand that combat sports nature dictates that crazy circumstances such as sickness, sudden injury and even unlucky coincidence can turn the whole fight in opponent's favor. Win is a win but so called flukes happen from time to time. This fight although draw clearly showed that first fight between prime Royler and relatively inexperienced Eddie was NOT a fluke. I am not the biggest fan of 10th Planet and Bravo, but Eddie showed control and ability to threaten Royler through the fight. Eddie probably is bad stylistic match up for Royler. That doesn't mean that Eddie is better grappler or BJJ fighter or that he could beat the guys Royler won, but he has grappling style, flexibility and build to win Royler.
So when this fight ended in a draw, some of those very same aggressive commentators now said that Eddie couldn't get the sub, that it's not a win and that draw doesn't count. Well that's not what most kept repeating before. They said that Eddie will get crashed, that fight before was a fluke. Although draw, this fight showed that Eddie has a tools to fight Royler. It is no fluke. If someone is so aggressive in their opinions and learns that he was wrong least he/she could do is be silent or maybe do the right thing and admit being wrong.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Ah, to be half as talented as either of those two sure would be something.

The Jits community has to watch themselves, though. The last five years or so they're throwing out criticisms like they're getting paid by the pound. Who do they think they are, us Karate guys of the eighties? :)

Latest Discussions