does this look familiar?

SJC

White Belt
Reaction score
Im having a bit of an issue. For many years, I would take about any class or sample any system or art I could experience. I had a round eclectic sampling from here and there, but after seeing some demonstrations of the techniques associated in Bujinkan, it brought a new focus for me. The footwork and positioning works very well for me and I really enjoyed the time I spent there. After college ended we moved, to an area with no Bujinkan school. I tried sampling from a number of schools local, but I haven't really found anything that fit the way taijutsu did. So my question is this: what other systems, arts or theories, whether of Asian, European, N American or other descent, traditionally codified or systematically free-flowing, etc. can be cited that reflect a similarity to taijutsu? Now, there are a couple of obvious answers to this, like ToShinDo, or just travelling long distance to a Bujinkan school. There is no doubt in my mind that it would be an honor to train with the cats in both of these places. I'm looking more for comparisons, like reflections in the footwork and throws of aikido, some jointlock materials, some controlling and striking, this kind of thing...

thanks, guys...

Shicomm

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Maybe a bit offtopic here but maybe there is a traininggroup active in your area ?
These groups are sometimes hard to find but it doesn't hurt to check it out ;)
Contact the nearest dojo's and ask around is they know about any group close to you, you might be surprised :)

Good luck and keep going !

Reactions: SJC
OP
SJC

SJC

White Belt
Reaction score
I appreciate that, and I have looked into it some, as part of the recent years of trying some different styles. I would LOVE a training group, much more so than maybe enrolling in a formalized school. I don't know, the group seems a little more experimental than the doctrine, I like that. I work for a local PD, and they have some techniques that are a good time too, uniquely law enforcement. I have as hard a time locating some cats to work with as I have trying to find some people with whom to play music. (I am on the graveyard shift)

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
Where do you live? I may have missed it somewhere, but that info would help.

OP
SJC

SJC

White Belt
Reaction score
I live near S. Kansas City Missouri. There are a number of schools around here, but nothing I've found that really holds onto me. Just for the sake of curiosity, can you think of other styles, regardless of origins, that makes use of the same sorts of footwork, bodies of techniques, balance of striking and kicking with jointlocks and pressure points...

Langenschwert

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
or just travelling long distance to a Bujinkan school.

That's likely your best choice. My instructor is over a three hour drive away, but it's done a lot for my swordsmanship.

And since you're near KC, you shouldn't have THAT much trouble finding fellow musos! :D

Another option is to find an art near you and train that, but whenever possible travel to the nearest Bujinkan school.

Best regards,

-Mark

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Similar arts? Hmmm.... with regards to taijutsu, I personally see some similarities in Systema, Silat, and a bit in aikido.

For me, it is Bujinkan training. Period. I don't have enough time learn other arts, this one is already taking a lifetime. :p

Sanchin-J

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hmm similar styles to that of Bujinkan Taijutsu.. That's a toughy really, I studied for a long time myself in the art, and I don't think I have really come across anything like it since then. Now historically speaking, you could broaden your search a bit but keep it centered on the Japanese martial art systems, most of them do have historical ties or were influenced by Bushido and or Ninjutsu, although to be perfectly honest, If it was a matter of my personal opinion, I'd go with Aikido. I attended a few classes at a local facility in my area and was actually quite impressed, but it was too expensive in my case to continue studying.

OP
SJC

SJC

White Belt
Reaction score
My thoughts were that the body movements probably were not going to be exclusive to taijutsu, that maybe another style, or battery of styles, might resemble it's footwork, or positioning, or perhaps a bit of the techniques. It need not be Japanese, or even Asian in origin, just fishing for other ideas or comparisons.