Dixie Chicks - Taking the Long Way

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I am listening to the Dixie Chicks new album this morning. I recall the bru-ha-ha of a couple of years ago. I searched the site, and they are referenced in this thread. What a difference three years makes.

http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showpost.php?p=175838&postcount=1

Taking the Long Way is the number one download on I-Tunes. I don't know how much airplay it is receiving on C&W radio.

Not Ready To Make Nice is their song concerning the reaction they received to comments made in England prior to the Invasion.

Have you heard?
Are you going out of the way to not listen?
Thoughts?

I made my bed and I sleep like a baby
With no regrets and I don't mind sayin'
It's a sad sad story when a mother will teach her
Daughter that she ought to hate a perfect stranger
And how in the world can the words that I said
Send somebody so over the edge
That they'd write me a letter
Sayin' that I better shut up and sing
Or my life will be over

TonyMac

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I find the dixie chicks musically painfull. As for their political views, my attitude is who cares. I don't listen to the propoganda of any entertainers. Entertainers could be the last group of people I would take advise from on the planet.
P.S. Girls, harmony is when each of you is singing a DIFFERENT note.

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I guess I like them OK, although, I like Amy Lee and her music much better. ;) Although, I am not really a big fan of country music. As for the whole bru-ha-ha about them, who cares!

Swordlady

Senior Master
Reaction score
TonyMac said:
P.S. Girls, harmony is when each of you is singing a DIFFERENT note.

Actually, the Dixie Chicks' cover of "Landslide" (originally sung by Stevie Nicks of Fleetwood Mac) wasn't half bad. They harmonized very well in that song.

OP
M

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have a degree in music.

I find most contemporary vocalists entirely too impressed with their on breathing ... why I need to listen to it, is beyond me. But I do find that the girls actually do harmony ... maybe not very intricate harmony, but there is harmony there.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
michaeledward said:
I have a degree in music.

You too???? :eek: :eek: :eek:

So that's why we get along ;)

I'm actually very curious to hear the new album.

OP
M

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Carol Kaur said:
You too???? :eek: :eek: :eek:
So that's why we get along ;)
I'm actually very curious to hear the new album.

Yeah, but my degree is from some whimpy state school in Western Mass ...

The Dixie Chicks album, which I also see entered the Billboard Top 200 at #1, can be listened to only at www.dixiechicks.msn.com for not charge.

Blotan Hunka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
http://worldnetdaily.com/news/printer-friendly.asp?ARTICLE_ID=50488

Well, it's here. Right in the middle of us, and spreading. It's a fowl contagion and can be very dangerous. It's hard to prevent and even harder to cure. It's no respecter of persons; it can affect people of any age, economic background or culture. There's no vaccine, though there is something you can take to combat it – but I'll come to that later.

I'm not referring to the dreaded avian flu, the one we've been reading about that's transmitted from bird to bird, and possibly to some humans or other creatures. No, I'm talking about another affliction. This one is a mental, emotional and verbal malady that seems to incubate most often in the young – particularly those who have already exhibited tendencies toward rebellion, rejection of authority, resentments of various types, grievances, self-righteousness, self-importance, self-indulgence and (of course) impatience.

This fever is transmitted quickly among impressionable and poorly informed young people who generally are looking for quick "fixes" to problems and who have often not learned yet that valuable possessions – like freedom, for example – cost dearly. In a majority of cases, the newly affected ones have been given almost everything that's important to them with little or no expenditure of their own, and therefore they naturally assume that's to be expected all life through. Therefore, they haven't developed any kind of immunity to the Ditsy Chicks Bird Flu. In fact, they often welcome it!

Just in case you're not aware of this contagious ailment, let me describe the three main telltale symptoms. The first is usually an onset of anger and frustration, often disguised as humanitarianism, which is actually present in many cases. These emotions fester and swell, and lead to symptom No. 2 – spontaneous, regrettable but apparently uncontrollable verbal outbursts, similar to Tourette's syndrome. The victim intends to shock and offend, yet is sometimes quite surprised at the negative reaction of others. But the third symptom is invariably a setting in of rigid self-defensiveness, of hostility toward anyone with a differing point of view and a rampant, unreasoning passion to be proven right and even honored for the previous offenses!

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
hapki68 said:
I really like "Not Ready to Make Nice," but, then again, I still listen to Laura Branigan.

That is a name I have not heard in years. I forgot, you sir helped ratify the declaration of independence. hahahahahaha. Pat I am just kidding.
icon10.gif
:erg::shrug:

OP
M

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score

hemi

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I am heavy into Country, no surprise there I live in a small town in TX and have Hemi in my handle. I have always liked the DC’s songs especially good bye Earl. That song cracked me up.

As for the foot in mouth problem they had a few years back. Well as others have said they are not who I look to for political advise.

As for their ability to sing, I have listened to a lot worse. They will never match Reba, but still they sound ok to me.

Blotan Hunka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
When are "stars" going to realize that we pay to watch them act, sing, and perform? Using a captive audience to spout your adgenda is wrong. So yeah, "shut up and sing".

OP
M

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
When are "stars" going to realize that we pay to watch them act, sing, and perform? Using a captive audience to spout your adgenda is wrong. So yeah, "shut up and sing".

And if they have an opinion, it is acceptable to extend death threats?

EDIT ---

This is an interesting comment ...

little late for rep sniping isnt it?

But even more interesting, I have no idea what this person is referencing.

END EDIT

OP
M

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Best Country Performance by a Duo or Group with vocal ...

. . . . And the Grammy goes to . . . .

The Dixie Chicks .... Not Ready to Make Nice

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
Best Country Performance by a Duo or Group with vocal ...

. . . . And the Grammy goes to . . . .

The Dixie Chicks .... Not Ready to Make Nice

OK. I'm about to show my ignorance here yet again. Did they really win? Now if this is just a tounge-in-cheek post and the Grammy's are not for another couple weeks or months... I knew that. :uhohh::idunno:

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
OK. I'm about to show my ignorance here yet again. Did they really win? Now if this is just a tounge-in-cheek post and the Grammy's are not for another couple weeks or months... I knew that. :uhohh::idunno:

The 49th Annual Grammy Awards Show is on tonight. And yes, the Dixie Chicks' song "Not Ready To Make Nice" joins Black Eyed Peas' "My Humps" as a Grammy Award winning song.

What you gon' do with all that junk?
All that junk inside your trunk?
I'ma get, get, get, get, you drunk,
Get you love drunk off my hump.
My hump, my hump, my hump, my hump, my hump, my hump
My hump, my hump my lovely little lumps. (Check it out)

http://www.grammy.com/Grammy_Awards/49th_show/list.aspx

Latest Discussions