distinguishing tsd

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
Reverse roundhouse, I think that's what I know as an inverted kick ,or, inverted front kick. Used it alot in sparring and tournaments. Kinda like a front kick with the kicking leg turned knee out ;ie sideways, or a short upward angle round kick going across my body instead of with it, impacting with ball of the foot. Sound similar?

Another old post to reference...

In ITF tkd that sounds like a mid section twisting kick.

I've been told by people from 3 different schools (including mine) that they'd never seen anyone attempt to use it in sparring until I was their opponent.

Works very well actually - it's not a huge power kick but because it's utterly unexpected it knocks out wind every time ;)

Edit: it's a kick present in karate too - Jesse Enkamp did a video on it.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I remember a high-ranking Aikidoka talking with a high-ranking TKD practitioner some years ago. After sharing some thoughts and watching each other move, they came to the conclusion that - once they reached a certain level - the movement became strikingly similar. Aikido just started the circular part of the movement much earlier in the student's development.

I've said for a long time that the real difference between arts is focus. You'll learn to punch and kick in Aikido, but later. You'll learn to twist and throw in TKD. But later.
Aikido starts with big circles and as you progress they become smaller and more linear. TKD starts linear, and as you progress becomes more circular. TKD will always (probably) be more linear than Aikido, but they certainly become a lot closer.

Latest Discussions