Diagram/Pattern of forms

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Hello,

I've been studying Short form 3. What I am wondering is how you view the diagram or pattern of that form? For example, we know with Short form 1, the diagram/pattern of that is the shape of a plus (+), [going 12 to 6, then 3 to 9, then 9 to 3, then 6 to 12].

For Short form 3, my understanding is that it starts out in a line (12 to 6), then switches from 9 to 3. From there on, the angle shifts to a sort of a lopsided incomplete rectangle; (going 8 to 2) with the upper right corner, then at that corner goes 10 to 4, then a long side from 4 to 10, then a short side from 8 to 2 before the final segment, 12 to 6. I am trying to visualize this in a linear way. If my word description doesn't make sense to you, maybe I can draw what I think the Short form 3 diagram is in my mind, and attach it for you for your feedback.

- Ceicei

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Ceicei said:
Hello,

I've been studying Short form 3. What I am wondering is how you view the diagram or pattern of that form? For example, we know with Short form 1, the diagram/pattern of that is the shape of a plus (+), [going 12 to 6, then 3 to 9, then 9 to 3, then 6 to 12].

For Short form 3, my understanding is that it starts out in a line (12 to 6), then switches from 9 to 3. From there on, the angle shifts to a sort of a lopsided incomplete rectangle; (going 8 to 2) with the upper right corner, then at that corner goes 10 to 4, then a long side from 4 to 10, then a short side from 8 to 2 before the final segment, 12 to 6. I am trying to visualize this in a linear way. If my word description doesn't make sense to you, maybe I can draw what I think the Short form 3 diagram is in my mind, and attach it for you for your feedback.

- Ceicei
The pattern in Short Form 3 utilizes the + and the x signs. The directions that are involved are: 12~6~3~9~7:30~4:30~10:30 & 1:30.

:asian:

OP
Ceicei

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
So are you saying it is not like a rectangle? Are you suggesting the starting point is in the middle, and the + and X on top of each other and should end up in the middle again (thereby looking like a star)? If so, I don't see how that is possible, because when I start short form 3, I end up by a yard or two to the left and ahead of the original starting point.

- Ceicei

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Try doing right side, then left side. You should finish up much closer to center.

... and yes, it is not a rectangle, but a "+" sign superimposed with the "X" symbol.

-Michael

OP
Ceicei

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Michael Billings said:
Try doing right side, then left side. You should finish up much closer to center.

... and yes, it is not a rectangle, but a "+" sign superimposed with the "X" symbol.

-Michael
Ok, makes sense, thank you!! I'll give that a try. It looks like I may be doing some stances longer on one side than the other....

- Ceicei

Kenpodoc

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I find that a common problem is taking much too large steps on Wings of Silk.

Jeff

OP
Ceicei

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Kenpodoc said:
I find that a common problem is taking much too large steps on Wings of Silk.

Jeff
Ummm, interesting. I'll try shortening the steps with Wings of Silk. How about with Crossed Twigs? Could the initial stepping forward (before the pivot) sometimes be too long?

- Ceicei

D

dcence

Ceicei said:
He For example, we know with Short form 1, the diagram/pattern of that is the shape of a plus (+), [going 12 to 6, then 3 to 9, then 9 to 3, then 6 to 12].

Actually if you really look at it Short 1 is an L.

mj-hi-yah

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
pete said:
an L from one side, but an inverted T when done from both sides...
Because we retreat when facing 6:00 rather than advance if it's shortened to a stubby :) inverted T with each line being of equal length ~ and taking into account we are of course doing both sides, I can visualize Short Form I more in this way. :)

Attachments

• $040211_yes s2.jpg
    $040211_yes s2.jpg
    507 bytes · Views: 164

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ceicei said:
Ummm, interesting. I'll try shortening the steps with Wings of Silk. How about with Crossed Twigs? Could the initial stepping forward (before the pivot) sometimes be too long?

- Ceicei
Stepping off into an inverted neutral bow to pivot into a correct right forward bow.

Latest Discussions