DF: Why are Judo schools so often sensitive about working No Gi?

Clark Kent

<B>News Bot</B>
Reaction score
Why are Judo schools so often sensitive about working No Gi?
By bodhisattva - Wed, 07 May 2008 15:39:20 GMT
Originally Posted at: Deluxe Forums

====================

I think it really sucks that so many Judo schools have an attitude if you want to learn to throw No-Gi as well.

We have a couple of local Judo schools, at least one of them is awesome.. But they get very defensive and very..irritated if you want to learn no-gi.

I think that is a shame. Judo rocks. I typically recommend Judo to people who don't have the time to study MMA. I think Judo is the next best thing (and not by a long shot, either.)

But I don't want to learn Judo because of the dependence on the Gi at my local schools.

I think more Judo schools should be more flexible and start teaching more no-gi and working more without the gi.

I think it would make the throws even cleaner when they brought the gi back into play.

-Personally, I think everyone should learn no-gi first, and then learn with the gi.

Read More...

------------------------------------
Defend.net Post Bot - JMA Feed

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
Judo is a sport and the gi is an integral part of that game.

("Judo is wrestling with handles" — Gene LeBelle)

It's like convincing tennis players to play without a net.

If training for self-defense (not winning the Judo game) then it becomes jujutsu.

I agree with you, however, that training no-gi stuff would probably improve their with-gi game, and therefore would be great training.

As for the OP's statement: "-Personally, I think everyone should learn no-gi first, and then learn with the gi." I disagree, especially in a Judo class.

But also for self defense. While it is true people don't walk around with gis on, it is ALSO true that in MOST climates, people don't walk around shirtless!

And, fwiw, it was a BJJ enthusiast who showed me that even though a T-shirt as normally worn would rip before being a good "handle" or scarf for choking, that if you bunch it up or roll it up while grappling, it becomes sturdy enough for either purpose :)

allenjp

Brown Belt
Reaction score
This is a controversy often played out in BJJ circles as well. For some reason people always seem to be fervently either gi or no gi people. I agree that some of the gi techniques may not be practicle for use when not wearing a gi, however like the last person said people also generally do not go around almost naked like in MMA. So in my opinion it is somewhere in the middle. I train BJJ with a gi, but I am constantly mindful of whether or not a certain technique would work without a gi, or how I can modify the technique to work with a tee shirt. I also ask my instructor sometimes how I might use a technique against a person that was wearing a tee shirt. Also remember that aside from bunching up a tee shirt, if the person happens to be wearing a sweatshirt or jacket, they can be used almost like a gi because the fabric is a lot stronger. And you can always hope that the opponent starts to take off his shirt before fighting you so you can either run, or attack and quickly gain the advatage while he has his arms wrapped up in the shirt.

Latest Discussions