DF: Capoeira vs Kung Fu (Sparring)

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
No no, I agree with your rant, just trying to nail down where it was filmed :)

I dont know why we dont see X vs. kung fu with people who seriously train like this, probably because the videos were "inconclusive" ;)

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
No that school appears to be in Korea maybe?

If it's the one I think it is (can't see it on Youtube), it's a mantis school in Korea. I think I remember seeing it was either Taiji Meihua or Taiji mantis. Couple guys hitting hard & fast in drills??

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If it's the one I think it is (can't see it on Youtube), it's a mantis school in Korea. I think I remember seeing it was either Taiji Meihua or Taiji mantis. Couple guys hitting hard & fast in drills??

Yup, thats the one.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

I did not think you did not agree, I just have not ranted in so long I needed to mention it again.

That is a good video however and you do not see those guys challenged do you.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think Tai Chi is very much kung fu or at least true kung fu and tai chi should share many fighting principles. Kung Fu without the "softness" is not CMA in my opinion. Sorry if I offend.

Also, here is a clip we have had discussions on allready, but represents what I consider good kung fu. Its not free sparring and lacks a little of the elements we try to train, but its pretty dang good. (Turn your sound down)

That is a nice video and I enjoyed their CMA movement. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kensai

Black Belt
Reaction score
If kung gu constitutes standing around, with no guard, throwing no punches, and throwing the same lame, predictable kicks, then that was fantastic kung fu... However, that's not my experience of KF.

Latest Discussions