DF: Aikido

Clark Kent

<B>News Bot</B>
Reaction score
Aikido
By Michael Wright - Tue, 22 Jan 2008 22:49:13 GMT
Originally Posted at: Deluxe Forums

====================

Allow me to indulge a genuine fascination.

I have spent 16 years in the martial arts, but never really on the traditional Japanese side, and one art that has always fascinated me is Aikido. I haven't seen or heard much on the forum from those in the Aikido world, and I would genuinely like to. Videos like the below have always wowed me since I was a kid.

What is the essence of Aikido? And, please be honest, how much of the art is a demonstration tool, and how much is a genuine style that takes true mastery?

My thanks in advance for your input.

YouTube Video If you are able to see this message it means that you don't have flash installed or that the video server is down.

Read More...

------------------------------------
Defend.net Post Bot - JMA Feed

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
how much of the art is a demonstration tool, and how much is a genuine style that takes true mastery?

i think that is a great area for discussion
much of what is demonstrated looks way to prearanged with people taking the fall or flying in the air befor the move is anywhere complet
Now haveing been sent flying befor I know most of these techniques work but have a problem with people completing the fall befor the person giving the femo finishes his part of the tech

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Quite often you'll see uke take a breakfall prior to completion of the technique because there is a tiny (did I say tiny) window of opportunity to go with the technique to avoid injury before the technique takes you and you've gotten a destroyed joint or done a face plant after your balance has been broken. The big problem that I see with aikido demonstration is that with a technique that uses pain compliance, balance breaking or energy redirection it's very hard to convey that to an audience. It's something that is both very subtle and very dynamic at the same time. I know it's cliche but you just gotta feel it. Doing techniques with a trained uke looks very smooth because generally uke knows what's coming at some point during the movement and goes with it to avoid that damage. When used against an unwitting opponent it isn't going to look anywhere near that smooth but will cause a great deal of (long lasting) damage.

Latest Discussions