"deadly arts" on fit tv

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
I just noticed an airing of "Deadly arts" On fit-tv (fitness television). Its highlighting Muay Thai tonight. Is this a series? Will this be worth the time to watch? Anyone seen the show yet? Its on at 8pm this evening (Oct 28th) on the east coast.

MrH

Randy Strausbaugh

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I've seen two episodes, and they're OK. The basic setup is that the host spotlights different martial arts in the land of their birth rather than by going to the local McDojo. In the Capoeira episode she went to Brazil for instruction and in the Karate episode she went to Okinawa to study Goju-ryu. The show is as much about the places, people, and traditions as it is about the arts. Nothing in depth, but better than the usual stuff. My only problem (nit-picking on my part) is that the host pronounces the word "kata" as "cat-a". Since she's Canadian, I guess it's a French thing :) .
Oh, and Okinawa really looked beautiful. I wonder why they don't promote it over here as a tourist destination (unless they figure too many tourists would spoil the place).
By the way, next Friday's episode is "Aikido".

OP
mrhnau

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
Randy Strausbaugh said:
By the way, next Friday's episode is "Aikido".

Neat... Wish I could see the two older ones then. I've got it programmed for this evening...

MrH

AdrenalineJunky

Black Belt
Reaction score
I think we're avoiding the larger question here: What are you all doing watching fitness television? lol :asian:

Thanks for the heads-up on the Muay Thai episode
9fd3b4f87_47.gif

Solidman82

Purple Belt
Reaction score
It plays on outdoor life network too, not sure when though. I like the show, the aikido episode is is especially in depth (the host is a french aikidoka). But they produced the show in some aspects to make her seem like she's been living under a martial arts rock for most of her life, she doesn't show the skill the a 20 year practioner should have IMO. I suppose it helps to have a beginner learning martial arts rather then a pro.

on an unrelated note, has anyone ever seen "Sports Samurai"? (the name should pretty much indicate how terrible it is)

OP
mrhnau

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well, I just watched the taped show for lunch. Sadly, I was not too impressed. I doubt I'll watch any others. I -might- check out the capeoira one, since its hard to find much on TV about it, but other than that I'll think i'll be missing it. I was not too impressed with the host. Information was stuff I already knew, which is sad since I never studied that art. Oh well :)

MrH

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, thanks for letting us know what it was like. It's good to get exposure for the arts even if we experts aren't too impressed by it!

Shirt Ripper

Black Belt
Reaction score
Randy Strausbaugh said:
I've seen two episodes, and they're OK. The basic setup is that the host spotlights different martial arts in the land of their birth rather than by going to the local McDojo.

McDojo?! I like it.

AdrenalineJunky

Black Belt
Reaction score
arnisador said:
Well, thanks for letting us know what it was like. It's good to get exposure for the arts even if we experts aren't too impressed by it!

The one on Muay Thai wasn't bad. . .It would be neat to go train with all the masters of Muay Thai, Krabi Krabong and Muay Boran, particularly if you're a female. . .that doesn't happen all that often in Thailand.

Casey_Sutherland

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Its not too bad of a show. The woman who does it is from Quebec Canada and travels all over. If you are canadian they show the show a lot on IFC. Mr. Rob Broad was kind enough to lend me a tape with pretty much all the episodes. He was saying that you can book seminars with her.

OP
mrhnau

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
AdrenalineJunky said:
The one on Muay Thai wasn't bad. . .It would be neat to go train with all the masters of Muay Thai, Krabi Krabong and Muay Boran, particularly if you're a female. . .that doesn't happen all that often in Thailand.

I will say the Krabi Krabong section was pretty cool. I did enjoy learning a little bit about that...

AdrenalineJunky

Black Belt
Reaction score
mrhnau said:
I will say the Krabi Krabong section was pretty cool. I did enjoy learning a little bit about that...

I was pretty surprised that they covered the 10 year old fights. Seems like that wouldn't sit too well with many viewers. The other thing is, to get that kind of training from Ajarn Surachai Sirisute and Ajarn Apidej Sit-Hirun, would cost. . .a lot more than I could afford; and she got paid to do it.

AdrenalineJunky

Black Belt
Reaction score
I think the lady (the host) also has a black belt and some 20 years in Aikido, so it's not exactly like she's not an accomplished MAist.

Solidman82

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Yeah but it seems like she dumbs herself down for the show. Or rather, skills herself down?

Latest Discussions