David Frumm Leaves American Public Media Marketplace

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I found this fascinating:

http://marketplace.publicradio.org/display/web/2011/10/12/pm-frum-goodbye-interview/

The long-time Marketplace conservative commentator will contribute occasionally; says he doesn't represent "the view of most people who call themselves Republicans and conservatives."

RYSSDAL: So why this move? Why is this no longer a good fit for you?

FRUM: Well, we've been doing a point/counter-point here between me and Bob Reich for a couple of years. And it's been a lot of fun. I've certainly learned a lot from it. But I think that there's a kind of expectation that when you do it that you represent the broad point of view of your half of the political spectrum. And although I consider myself a conservative and a Republican, and I think that the right-hand side of the spectrum has the better answers for the long-term growth of economy -- low taxes, restrained government, less regulation -- it's pretty clear that facing the immediate crisis -- very intense crisis -- I'm just not representing the view of most people who call themselves Republicans and conservatives these days.

And then yesterday, this from Robert Reich:

http://marketplace.publicradio.org/display/web/2011/10/19/pm-reich-debating-americas-future/

Why exactly was it necessary for David to "represent" the views of conservative Republicans? I don't feel any obligation to represent liberal Democrats. Over the years I've argued, for example, in favor of getting rid of the corporate income tax, and creating school vouchers inversely related to family incomes. And I'm opposed to putting trade sanctions on China for so-called currency manipulation. None of these positions represents liberal democratic orthodoxy.

The public doesn't want or need to hear "representatives" from the so-called right or left. It wants insight into what's best for America. And yet over and over again -- on the radio, on TV, in print, in the blogosphere, and all over Washington -- political ideology is substituting for thought. Politicians take oaths and sign pledges. Special-interest groups abide by litmus tests and ideological labels. Pundits are either on the left or the right.

David says he disagrees with most Republicans these days about whether now's the time to cut public spending and shred safety nets. Well, it so happens a majority of economic policy experts also think now's not the right time.

David's voice will be sorely missed. Yet I understand his dilemma. Introducing him last week, Kai Ryssdal said David has been a regular commentator on this program for years, offering the voice of the political right against Robert Reich and the views of the political left.

Kai, my friend, that's the problem in a nutshell. Labels like this fuel what's happening all over America right now. We're getting empty phrases and unthinking ideology instead of arguments, facts, and logic. We're either on the right or the left, and we don't have to listen to anyone on the other side.

I believe that may be the first time I've every agree with Robert Reich. We're not about facts as much as we're about sides anymore. Really kind of sad, if what you're looking for are solutions.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
We're not about facts as much as we're about sides anymore. Really kind of sad, if what you're looking for are solutions.
LOL. Well, duh. They could have just asked us. We've been saying this around here for a long time! :D

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
LOL. Well, duh. They could have just asked us. We've been saying this around here for a long time! :D

I agree, and it is quite infuriating. I think that's been said too, but what the heck. A little repetition couldn't hurt ;)