Dan Zan Ryu - Hawaiian Jujutsu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
http://www.examiner.com/x-25229-Hon...miner~y2009m10d8-Dan-zan-ryu-Hawaiian-jujutsu

In 1906, a sixteen year old young man from Fukushima Prefecture, Japan, boarded a ship and emigrated to Hawaii. Upon arrival, he was diagnosed with tuberculosis, a disease that was usually fatal. Rather then accept his fate, Seishiro "Henry" Okazaki decided to begin training in the martial arts in order to combat the disease.

From 1906 to 1928, Mr. Okazaki trained in a lot of martial arts. His symptom for tuberculosis disappeared and, as he writes, "developed a body of iron." During this twenty two year time span, Mr. Okazaki trained in Japanese Jujutsu, Okinawan Karate, Chinese Kung Fu, Filipino stick and knife fighting, Hawaiian Lua, Western Boxing, and Western Wrestling.

Drawing on the traditions of all these systems, Mr. Okazaki founded Dan Zan Ryu Jujutsu. Dan Zan Ryu translates into "sandalwood mountain school" of Jujutsu. "Sandalwood mountain" name for the Hawaiian Islands, thus Dan Zan Ryu literally means Hawaiian School of Jujutsu.

DZR is an interesting system. I really have like cross training in it and I see lots of similarities to Karate.

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It's the parent art of what eventually became Small Circle Jujitsu if I understand correctly.

That is correct. Wally Jay was a direct student of Mr. Okazaki. It's interesting to study the art here, because so much of its history is wrapped up in what its like to live in Hawaii. Everyone lives here. It truly is a melting pot. Like I wrote in my article, Okazaki learned MA at a time before they were commercial and made into sports...except for judo.

Latest Discussions