Chung I chuan

Boneventura

White Belt
Reaction score
Hello Martialtalk community,

I'm new to the forum, as I recently started developing an interest in martial arts as my children (7-years old twins) started to practice Kong Fu.

The Kong Fu school they joined teaches Chung-i Ch'uan style Kong Fu. I tried to do some research on this style to see if it's the right choice for them, but couldn't find much. Just some very old video's on Youtube and one or 2 articles. So I'm a little bit in doubt if we made the right choice. The goal is for them to have fun, learn how to defend themselves and to grow conficende.

Is there any expert here on the forum that knows Chung-i Ch'uan and is willing to chime in?

Thnx!

Bone

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Hello Martialtalk community,

I'm new to the forum, as I recently started developing an interest in martial arts as my children (7-years old twins) started to practice Kong Fu.

The Kong Fu school they joined teaches Chung-i Ch'uan style Kong Fu. I tried to do some research on this style to see if it's the right choice for them, but couldn't find much. Just some very old video's on Youtube and one or 2 articles. So I'm a little bit in doubt if we made the right choice. The goal is for them to have fun, learn how to defend themselves and to grow conficende.

Is there any expert here on the forum that knows Chung-i Ch'uan and is willing to chime in?

Thnx!

Bone

Chung-I-Chuan.... are you in Europe? I never trained it, I did once buy a VHS of it to see what it was and I occasionally come across a video on YouTube

Chung-I-Chuan is rare, never seen it in the USA, the only place I found one was in Europe. However it has been many years since I looked for it. It was developed by the Taiwanese military for their soldiers. It is no longer used as far as I know.

OP
B

Boneventura

White Belt
Reaction score
Thank you Xue Sheng, yes I am in Europe (Netherlands). I think there is only one school here that teaches it. That is why I started researching, there must be a reason why it's no longer in use, right? Any opinion on the quality of the style? Thank you!

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you Xue Sheng, yes I am in Europe (Netherlands). I think there is only one school here that teaches it. That is why I started researching, there must be a reason why it's no longer in use, right? Any opinion on the quality of the style? Thank you!
There are plenty of reasons why a style stops being used. Sometimes the people that use it only pass it down to certain people, and eventually the line whithers. Sometimes ita a marketing thing. Sometimes the higher ups for wherever its being taught decided something else would be better for them (this doesnt mean one style is better than the other. If style a only taught how to deal with people with swords, and all of a sudden guns become a thing, they might replace it with guns). For a lot of chinese martial arts, its that the government banned them, thats happened for other places too after a takeover. And then, of course, because the art is crap. Sadly, that seems to be the least likely reason, from what I've seen.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

It could simply be that the Taiwanese found, or created a system that fit their needs better, for their police and military. China did something similar, they developed a version of Sanda specifically for their police and military and started training that in the 50s. And you would be hard pressed to find anyone teaching that version of Sanda (Sanshou) could be similar for Chung I Chuan. It may be rather effective, but it takes to long to teach someone to be effective since in the case of police and military you are talking weeks of months, not years to become effective.

So it was for police and military, they rarely, if ever taught anyone outside of the police and military so there would be few if any teachers. Best to find out where this Chung I Chuan comes from.

I came across someone, and trained with the briefly, the police/military version of Sanda. There was another guy, who he actually knew, who wrote a book on the topic. My teacher said he had no idea why the guy wrote the book sine he never learned his version of Sanda. So is this legitimate Chung I Chuan or did he teach himself from the video. Find out the lineage.

OP
B

Boneventura

White Belt
Reaction score
Thank you, I will ask the owner next time. He actually also teaches Sanda. His motivation to teach Cung-i Ch'uan is basically that is is a very acessible, effective and easy to learn form of Kong fu, so a good form if you want to learn how to defend yourself fast.

The other option here in the area is wing chun, wich is much broader available. At least 6 of 7 schools. So I'm in doubt if I should switch.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Thank you, I will ask the owner next time. He actually also teaches Sanda. His motivation to teach Cung-i Ch'uan is basically that is is a very acessible, effective and easy to learn form of Kong fu, so a good form if you want to learn how to defend yourself fast.

The other option here in the area is wing chun, wich is much broader available. At least 6 of 7 schools. So I'm in doubt if I should switch.

As my Sanda shifu said, Sanda is not the greatest, or the best martial art, It is just a quick way to learn how to hurt somebody very badly. Based on Chung I Chuan's reason for existing I wold not be surprised if it was not the same.

Sanda; there are different types of Sanda, There is the sport version you see in the ring and there is the Military/Police version, They are not the same. So teaching Sanda (Sanshou) does not usually mean the Military/Police version. It generally means the Sport version.

Is the teacher Chinese?

OP
B

Boneventura

White Belt
Reaction score
The Sanda lessons are called 'Sanda San Shou, Chinese kickboxing'. There is no reference to military style so I guess it's the sports version.

The teacher is not Chinese, he is Dutch. He has been studying martial arts since the early 80's and is a registered martial arts teacher in The Netherlands.

Last edited:

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
The Sanda lessons are called 'Sanda San Shou, Chinese kickboxing'. There is no reference to military style so I guess it's the sports version.

The teacher is not Chinese, he is Dutch. He has been studying martial arts since the early 80's and is a registered martial arts teacher in The Netherlands.

Sanda is Sanshou but regardless Sport Sanda is good stuff too. Kicks, punches and takedowns.

vince1

Orange Belt
Reaction score

You would have access to some good Wing Chun and Yang Style Tajiquan schools as well in the Netherlands.The Netherlands has been known to have a wide variety of excellent martial arts schools overall. Depending of where you are located I can send you a PM with some recommendations. I still have family in the Netherlands and can make some recommendations on schools.

Latest Discussions