Chip Townsend's breaking demo at the Las Vegas show

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
While I realize that this is a show, rather than a demonstration, testing, or competition, I could have done without 1/3 of the video being introduction and high speed replays of the same break over and over - and while the breaks were well done, in all honesty, I've seen the same breaks performed (including the baseball bats) by others, without the flash, and I much prefer straight demonstrations of power and technique to such shows as this, which appears to be playing on the "mystique" of the martial arts rather than on the skill of the practitioners.

And I'm curious about the eye patch too, especially since, at one point, I thought I saw him raise it to look at his target.

OP
J

joblo

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Chip has only one eye, he lost an eye in a freak accident when is was 3 yrs old. He wears the patch to hold the artificial eye in place when he's doing all the jumping etc.. This IMHO makes he's breaking even more impressive because his depth perception is not as it should be. I can assure you he didn't PEAK from underneath the patch, he has nothing under the patch to peak with! I've watched it several times and I can't find where you get that comment.

I've never seen anyone speed break a baseball bat, it's been done by many by holding it on the ground, but I've never seen or heard of anyone breaking a bat like he does the second one. I don't understand your "mystique" comment at all, there wasn't any tom foolery in the entire demo, just a lot of impressive kicking and breaking stuff. Look how high the 5 boards are for the jumping reverse side kick, how many people do you know who could do that at chest height. He has done as many as 11 before. If you can do the same thing please post it for all to see.

What do you mean by "without the flash" What flash, the man stands in front of a guy holding a baseball bat, does a 360 roundhouse and breaks it. Where's the flash?
Same situation with the machine, he stands in front of it, does a jump reverse side kick and breaks five boards. Where's the flash? How would you do the the same break different , without the so called Flash? just curious as to where you coming from on this.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Chip has only one eye, he lost an eye in a freak accident when is was 3 yrs old. He wears the patch to hold the artificial eye in place when he's doing all the jumping etc.. This IMHO makes he's breaking even more impressive because his depth perception is not as it should be.

Uh, wow! Good on him!

fireman00

Brown Belt
Reaction score
From Martial Arts Online Mag about Chip Townsend .... "Biography:
At the age of 3, due to a freak accident, I lost my right eye. My parents, trying to protect me from further injury discouraged football, and other rigorous sports. On a whim, I encouraged my mom to turn around and go back to the Tae Kwon Do Academy that we had just driven past. That was 20 years ago, and I'm still there."

I've seen him on ESPN or ESPN2 doing ISKA breaking championships and they did mention that he was blind and that the patch helps him to focus.

This was an excellent show, if you haven't seen him break in a competition you should.

Phadrus00

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I actually was there are the Ma Supershow for the demo and it was VERY impressive. Chip also did some breaking on the Vendor's floor during the show on some board holding equipment which was just a couple of booths over from where ours was and his speed and power is very impressive.

The only thing that I am not entirely enthusiastic about is that his uniforms have: "Team Chip" on them... not that I think it is disrespectful or dtracts from his ability... it just sounds kinda lame IMHO..

Rob

OP
J

joblo

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I actually was there are the Ma Supershow for the demo and it was VERY impressive. Chip also did some breaking on the Vendor's floor during the show on some board holding equipment which was just a couple of booths over from where ours was and his speed and power is very impressive.

The only thing that I am not entirely enthusiastic about is that his uniforms have: "Team Chip" on them... not that I think it is disrespectful or dtracts from his ability... it just sounds kinda lame IMHO..

Rob

I'm glad you liked it Rob, Chip not only is a great Martial Artist but a great person to boot. As far as the Team Chip on his uniform goes, that is the name of his business. Team Chip Tae Kwon Do Center. Our black belts have a demo team that has done very well in competitions over the years and when Chip changed the name of the business that's what he called it. Some people take the name as being arrogant but that's not it at all.

Kwan Jang

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I got to see Chip's breaking demo first hand while I was waiting to go up and perform at the Supershow opening ceremonies (I was in the kicking routine in the Ernie Reyes' World Action Team demo BTW). As always, Chip put on an impressive display. I've seen him break several times at the ISKA championships and though I'm not really into breaking, I've always been impressed by his skill and precision.

glyntown

White Belt
Reaction score
Chip wears an eye patch because he only has one eye. The other is a prosthetic.

glyntown

White Belt
Reaction score
Chip is phenomenal, and personally, I really appreciate your positive remarks! I know he would as well!

Latest Discussions