Chinese Historical Philosophy:

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
If energy is neither created nor destroyed, then could it be argued that the yin or yang nature of energy depends on perspective? One moves to Yin, the other moves to Yang, while the whole remains constant?

Reading this again, I do believe you are absolutely right, especially the perspective part. Also I believe it gets very hung up in the translation. It becomes some sort of mystical thing when to most CMA practitioners in China and TCM people in China is it very common and matter of fact. I believe Yang Jwing Ming associated with the endocrine system and I look at is as the electric current necessary for us to move. But it is not mystical, it is energy and it is neither created nor destroyed. And like I have said before; weak qi (out of balance) you are sick, strong qi (in balance) you are healthy, no qi (no energy left in the system) you are dead.

mograph

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Yep.
Yin-yang is a model, an artifice, just like anything that we name. ;) It can be applied to a heckuva lot of processes in this world like, yes, the endocrine system and electrical current; even traffic, negotiation, heat, order/chaos ...

Vajramusti

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
A great way to understand China is to Philosophy and religions.

Pretty much that means Confucius (and the variations), Taoist (and the variations) and Chan Buddhism, but there are other players that should be look at as well, Moists (not Mao and not of 3 stooges fame either) Legalists, etc.
----------------------------------------------------------
Chinese culture in practice often synthesizes different philosophiesTrue IMO for wing chun,
Confucianism speaks to school and learning structure- si hing,sifu, simo, sigung, sijo
Taoism gives us investing in loss
Buddhism-gives us mind focus and zero points
Legalists give us the realities of power