Cat Wing Chun - Lighthearted

Tong Chuang

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hi Everybody!
Couldn't help noticing how cats fighting often use wing chun like techniques. Maybe there's something we can learn.
Hope you don't mind these humorous pics:

images
Punch to inside gate

donnaTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
love it :)

i had a feeling from looking at these pictures that we just copied what animals do and now we know that centuries old masters just copied their cats movements and made them their own ;)

nice job on the piccies :)

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes, you could say wing chun's speed has mimicked the movements of a cat!

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
Oddly enough, I do practice a KIND of chi sao on my father-in-law's dog. He is a very playful husky, and what I do is get in close and make contact. If I feel his head moving one way, I shift and let him pass on through instead of muscling against it. The only thing is that I'm not really in a proper stance; I have to crouch down/hunch over to reach him. Still, it is a lot of fun!

PS: I simply do these kind of sensitivity training moves on him. I don't want anyone thinking I practice my punches on him!

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Cats are not naturally Wing Chun stylists. They tend to leave their center open, and attack laterally. They also don't use forward pressure. Instead they pull you into a clinch ...or more accurately a clench, as in a bite ...usually claw-kicking the living heck out of your hand with their rear legs at the same time. To be honest, though it galls me as a WC guy, my cats seem much better at Choi Lay Fut than WC. See below:

Cat's sparring:

Choi Lay Fut:

Sometimes they even lie on their backs with their paws splayed outward just baiting you. When the WC guy takes the bait and tries to shoot in on centerline attacking the chest or throat, they whip their paws in laterally from the sides and hook you which their claws. It gives "sticking" a whole new meaning. Then they will drag your hand right into their sharp little fangs. They are truly evil.

After suffering many shameful defeats to my cat BaMan, I finally managed to come up with a WC technique that I can make work more often than not. I shoot my fingers in on centerline at his throat, then when the claws come lashing in from the sides, I do not try to pull back. No time for that. Instead, I keep forward pressure and execute a fingertip huen sau and slip down and around to the outside gate behind his paws (by not withdrawing force, the claws don't hook in).

Then I continue shooting forward, slipping along his cheek, past his snapping fangs and up behind his head applying the neck-pulling hand movement from the dummy form and finishing with a quick flurry of scratches behind his ear. Not perfect, but I can make it work at least 50% of the time.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest Discussions