Cases of Self Defense - or Offense

M

MisterMike

Since your Kenpo training began, have you ever had to use it? What was the situation/results?

My story's pretty short. I trained in Kenpo over a span of 10 years, but have never used it, thankfully.

Ender

Black Belt
Reaction score
My son did. He was 10 years old. He was riding his bike. had to stop and tie his shoe. A bigger kid got on the bike and claimed it as his own. My son finished tying his shoe, then roundhouse kicked the kid in the stomach. The kid fell off in pain. My son got on his bike and rode off.

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
My 10 year old son needed it too.

There was a kickball game going on in the school yard. Apparently one of his teammates argued about whether he was safe on base. My son stood up for his teammate saying he saw what had happened. Three kids ganged up and jumped him. My son did a front kick to the chest. They backed off immediately and the game had to end prematurely.

Unfortunately, he was cited by the school for inappropriate behavior even though it was, in his mind, done in 'self defense".

I'm not sure how he could handle it differently, but we (his instructor and I) talked about this and suggested he try other alternatives first if possible (considering this is on school property, during school hours, and there are school adults around that could be called in to help defray the confrontation).

- Ceicei

satans.barber

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Ender
My son did. He was 10 years old. He was riding his bike. had to stop and tie his shoe. A bigger kid got on the bike and claimed it as his own. My son finished tying his shoe, then roundhouse kicked the kid in the stomach. The kid fell off in pain. My son got on his bike and rode off.

:D I like it!

Simple, controlled, but effective...

That's genuinely made me laugh that!

Ian.

Zoran

Black Belt
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by MisterMike
Since your Kenpo training began, have you ever had to use it? What was the situation/results?

My story's pretty short. I trained in Kenpo over a span of 10 years, but have never used it, thankfully.

I did about 10 years of bouncing and security work. I've had to use my training quite a bit over that time (slightly modified to stay within the bounds of the law).

As for street fights, I did have a few since my training. Nothing too major as it seems that those who cause trouble tend to be less efficient than handling it. :shrug:

But, since not working or going to the bar scene, my life has been very quiet and peaceful.

OP
M

MisterMike

But, since not working or going to the bar scene, my life has been very quiet and peaceful.

Yes, the same for me. I think half the battle is not to put yourself in the wrong environment.

In the other cases, I guess you have to do what you feel is right. Glad to hear the other situations posted worked out :D

Latest Discussions