car advise

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I got a new job that requires a lot of travelling (about 120-200 miles a day)
I wanna get a new car that is:
1. reliable
2. fast as a lamborghini
3. good looking like a bently
4. inexpensive like a toyota echo
5. doesnt consume any gas like a hybrid meaning i wanna go for a "gas change" instead of "buying new gas"
i guess it's hard to tailor that, and that's why im talking to MAist about it!
any advice on what i should get?
or whether i should buy/lease one
or do you know of any new cool features that i havent heard of before?
I do not prefer american cars unless you say "corvette Z06"

thank you!

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
mantis said:
I do not prefer american cars unless you say "corvette Z06"
Hmmm. Let me think on that a minute....I know, how 'bout a shiney new corvette Z06!

I mean, why not. You're dreaming anyway.:D

OP
mantis

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Gemini said:
Hmmm. Let me think on that a minute....I know, how 'bout a shiney new corvette Z06!

I mean, why not. You're dreaming anyway.:D
haha yah!
no, seriously... i know i was taking the description to the extreme, but im willing to have something that lays somewhere in the middle.
i considered civic, civic si, acura rsx, subaru wrx, audi a3, nissan 350z, but cant decide. it's a trade-off between speed, price, and gas mileage. i care about all. that's why i was asking if i should lease (cheaper payment) but i cant use the mileage!!
and thanks for "helping"

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Are these miles 'on the job' miles, and thus reimbursed by your employer?

Or, did you take a job where the office is a great distance from your home, and this is a normal commute?

If they are reimbursed, buy whatever you like. Today's mileage reimbursment rates will cover the cost of a new vehicle, gas, insurance and maintenance.

If you just have to commute to the office every day .... the Honda Insight was recently ranked the most fuel efficient vehicle on the road. It's pretty sleek. On the highway, I have been passed by an Insight on more than one occassion.

Ping898

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
With that kind of daily mileage you are better off buying than leasing

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Okay, I'm sorry. I'll try to be at least a "little" bit of help, but you probably won't like it. I race Mustangs.

First off, you want something reliable, but fast and sporty. Forget it. Sports cars are high maintanence. Period. Good on gas...nope. Sound hopeless? Never. You listed a few very popular cars because they are the best of all those worlds rolled into one. But you left one out that IMO is probably a better car to suite your all-around needs.

Dodge Neon SXT

Forget the Audi's and Acuras. You're going to rack up lots of miles in a hurry, so any resale is out the door. Forget any kind of lease. These little fellas are (almost) as fast as anything you have listed, but cheaper, better on gas and has a better standard warranty.

Hope this was a little more help. :ultracool

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
As for re-imbursement by the company...most will pay .25 to .30 per mile. With fuel prices being what they are I'd say the "responsible" thing to do is concentrate on the gas mileage.

OP
mantis

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I will be sent out by the company to develop at the customer's site, so I will get reimbursed.
the reason why i consider lease is because i can write it off my taxes, plus it will reduce my payment, which I need right now although i know the disadvantages of leasing.
my bro and I share a 4-cyl toyota camry, that car is DANGEROUS on the freeway especially with those huge fast trucks tailing you. i floor the car all the time with no response except "out of gas!"
thanks for feedback, keep them coming :)

Simon Curran

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
You already mentioned the Impreza WRX, but I wouldn't discount a Mitsubishi EVO either, and while you're going oriental, there is always the Nissan Skyline...

OP
mantis

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
i wish
skyline doesnt exist in the US
the problem is WRX consumes gas as much as a V6, so i might as well get a that!

Simon Curran

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
mantis said:
i wish
skyline doesnt exist in the US
the problem is WRX consumes gas as much as a V6, so i might as well get a that!
No Skylines... now that sucks.
And WRX's might be thirsty, but they sure handle a lot better than most V6's

OP
mantis

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
you know what
i found out today that 3 of my martial art teachers do have the WRX!
i think it's tight! they just changed the look this coming year too
hey, stick or auto?
do you know if there's a turbo lag?
i'd love a stick

Simon Curran

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I'd go with a manual personally, and the turbo lag is pretty minimal on the newer versions (the older ones had a bigger turbo which they installed to get it homologated for rally rules)

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
mantis said:
I will be sent out by the company to develop at the customer's site, so I will get reimbursed.
the reason why i consider lease is because i can write it off my taxes, plus it will reduce my payment, which I need right now although i know the disadvantages of leasing.
my bro and I share a 4-cyl toyota camry, that car is DANGEROUS on the freeway especially with those huge fast trucks tailing you. i floor the car all the time with no response except "out of gas!"
thanks for feedback, keep them coming
Leasing is a bad option, unless you plan for you lease to include the miles you are driving. If you are planning 700 to 1000 miles per week, you are going to need a lease that plans for 40,000 to 50,000 miles per year. Planning for that amount of mileage will dramatically lower the Lease End Value, which, in turn will increase your monthly rental payment. I think if you compare real numbers, leasing will not reduce your monthly payment.

Choosing to lease a vehicle to 'save' on taxes is never a smart option. I would also check with your legal/tax advisor before committing to that course of action.

Remember, any mileage re-imbursement (and currently, my company reimburses at $0.405 per mile - other companies I am aware of are in a similar area) is not reported as income and is not subject to tax.

Someone suggested reliability should be first on your list ... I agree. Toyota & Honda.

Simon Curran

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
michaeledward said:
Someone suggested reliability should be first on your list ... I agree. Toyota & Honda.
On that note, I saw a tv show (Top Gear from the UK) where they took a battered old toyota hi-lux diesel flat bed pick up, and tried to kill it, they tried burning it, getting it washed over in a high tide, driving it down stairs, into trees etc. and the series finale was to place it atop a skyscraper scheduled for explosive demolition.
Although seriously battered and bruised by the end of it, with only a simple tool kit and no spares whatsoever, a mechanic got it running and driving again at every turn during it's ordeal (even the blown up and falling from tall building one).
The long and the short of it is if it's reliability you are looking for, that could definately be a way to go...
(Not as much fun as a road going rally car though...)

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
A flooded car is usually a total loss. While you may be able to get it started and running in the short term, by drying out whatever got wet, those electrical parts that were submerged (especially in salt water) will degrade rapidly over time. Inside of 8 months, a complete electrical rebuild will usually be necessary.

Insurance companies don't hesitate to write off those vehicles.

NICB (National Insurance Crime Bureau) is desperately working to get a national system of recording total loss VIN's in place to handle all of the Katrina-related total losses. Currently, not all carrieres report to NICB. This allows for vehicles to move through states getting their titles washed, and showing up on used car lots even after they have been totalled.

Caveat emptor - especially with used cars over the next year.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I read an article recently indicating that soem of the flooded cars from New Orleans and all may be sold as 'used' after refurbishing, and that one should be careful.

Speaking of being careful...leasing can be a good option, but usually isn't! Think very hard about it.

Latest Discussions