Cape Cod Martial Arts Retreat 1/22/05

Matt

Black Belt
Reaction score
We're holding a martial arts retreat on Cape Cod, featuring four top notch instructors. It's being held at The Cape Codder, a resort hotel, but since it is winter, the rates are really affordable. Please register by 12/21 for the best room rates, and by 1/15 for the advance registration rate for the seminar. For more information, please go to www.capecodmartialarts.com and click on 'events'.

Scheduled to appear:

Professor Feliciano 'Kimo' Ferreira - Kempo Jutsu Kai

Arthur Sennott - Russian Combatives (Systema New England)

Sifu Rudy Duncan - Karazenpo Goshinjutsu

Master Mark Pina - Shaolin Kempo / Sparring

Cape Cod Martial Arts Academy
(508)240-2911

OP
M

Matt

Black Belt
Reaction score
D_Brady said:
I'll see ya there. :partyon:

Excellent - thanks for the support. You already know how great Arthur is, and I'm sure you will enjoy the others. It's funny - every time I talk to Kimo, he mentions how much he's looking forward to meeting and working with Arthur. It will be a good time.

Matt

OP
M

Matt

Black Belt
Reaction score
Matt said:
We're holding a martial arts retreat on Cape Cod, featuring four top notch instructors. It's being held at The Cape Codder, a resort hotel, but since it is winter, the rates are really affordable. Please register by 12/21 for the best room rates, and by 1/15 for the advance registration rate for the seminar. For more information, please go to www.capecodmartialarts.com and click on 'events'.

Scheduled to appear:

Professor Feliciano 'Kimo' Ferreira - Kempo Jutsu Kai

Arthur Sennott - Russian Combatives (Systema New England)

Sifu Rudy Duncan - Karazenpo Goshinjutsu

Master Mark Pina - Shaolin Kempo / Sparring

Cape Cod Martial Arts Academy
(508)240-2911

Sorry to quote my own post, but there has been a change in lineup.
Sorry as well for the last minute nature but:
Due to a very recent injury, Sifu Rudy Duncan will not be able to appear, however, none other than Joe Rebelo (KenpoJoe) has graciously stepped up to take his teaching spot. Given his vast repertoire and encyclopedic knowledge, he is sure to give a seminar to remember.

Thanks, and sorry for any inconvenience.

Matt

Andrew Evans

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Matt,

I won't be able to make this event but look forward to seeing reviews. Please keep us posted.

Thanks,
Andrew

OP
M

Matt

Black Belt
Reaction score
Andrew Evans said:
Matt,

I won't be able to make this event but look forward to seeing reviews. Please keep us posted.

Thanks,
Andrew

It went really well. The first session was Mark Pina, giving a seminar on sparring tips and techniques, and he is always a pleasure to watch. I had some students come up after and say -"I really got something I can use out of that!".

The second session was Arthur Sennott teaching Systema / Russian Martial Art concepts dealing mostly with defenses against knife and gun. Incredible stuff, touching on fundamental movements, the psychology of the encounter, and taught in a way that the kenpo /kempo people there could really take the ideas home and insert them in the context of their training, making material that they already have work better.

The third session was none other than KenpoJoe Rebelo, filling in for Rudy Duncan (whose broken foot is mending nicely). Joe covered a variety of Kenpo topics, emphasizing the concepts of raking, and taking the participants on a cross referencing tour starting with some of the original Karazenpo combinations, analagous techniques in the parker system, and then tying them in with the techniques as done today in schools like Villaris, Masters Centers, and USSD.

Finally, professor Kimo bombarded us with a wheelbarrow full of concepts. He basically ran two seminars simultaneously proving a specialized set of material for the kids present. Small joint manipulations and similar techniques to help grab defenses flow, Material from the Kempo-jutsu system, using the upper and lower body to disrupt the opponent's structure and balance, and more.

We all had such a great time that everyone stayed an extra day. Well that and 40 inches of snow. :supcool:

Matt

Latest Discussions