Canada and Reverse Onus

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Our Primeminister unveils new gun crime legislation

Prime Minister Stephen Harper has outlined tough new gun crime legislation that will require some criminals to prove why they should receive bail.

Harper made the announcement in Toronto flanked by Ontario's Liberal Premier Dalton McGuinty and newly re-elected Toronto Mayor David Miller.

The three set aside their partisan differences to unite in support of the introduced amendments to the Criminal Code.

The changes would require those already convicted of a gun crime, who have been arrested for a second time, to prove to a judge that they are not a danger to society.

Full Story

So, what does everyone think. Good idea, will it work? Anyone see any problems with it? Step in the right direction?

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
Gee...violent criminals that committ more crimes once they're released, who would have thougth that possible?

They shouldn't be letting these animals out the first time, then they wouldn't have to worry about dealing with them again. Why wait 'till they're a second-time offender?

Sounds to me like they're "treating the symptoms rather than the disease."

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
At least it is a step in the right direction. Instead of punishing the law-abiding populace, they're targeting the correct crowd, namely the criminals.

I support such legislation, as long as the criminal charge was justifiably in place. This way, criminals are kept behind bars, and society benefits.

This is really not that different from the legislation that has been enacted by several states in the US, and sponsored by the National Rifle Association (Project Exile). I wonder how the rabidly anti-gun Toronto fellow feels about supporting something that a US gun lobby invented...

This does not treat the whole problem, naturally, but it does remove a significant percentage of it, by making it impossible for convicted criminals to commit crimes in public.

The "problem's" treatment starts from within, where it comes down to the parents doing their best to raise their kids properly, and to install a good sense of morals, so that they don't turn to crime. Again, this won't stop all of it, but it will stop the bulk of it.

OP
Lisa

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
As Grenadier said, it is a step in the right direction. It is the first piece of legislation I am aware of that is fighting "gun crime" instead of focusing on "gun control"

We have been lobbying for better gun crime laws as opposed to gun control laws and as much as I agree with kenpotex that I would like it to be done after the first offense, I am not sure that will ever happen. I would like to see mandatory sentencing for those involved in a crime with a firearm. Something that CAN NOT be pleaded out.

Latest Discussions