Buy your own missile silo

Blotan Hunka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I kid you not.

http://www.missilebases.com/new/index.html

Saranac, NY - Back in the late 1950's and early 1960's when the Cold War was hot, the U.S. government built hundreds of Atlas-F missile silos (for 18 Million each in 1961) to prepare the country for an attack that never came. Today, most of these silos lie abandoned and filled with water, monuments to governments wastefulness and a bygone era. But now, thanks to two entrepreneurial cousins, Bruce Francisco and Gregory Gibbons, one of these silos located in beautiful Adirondack State Park near Lake Placid is finding new life as a $2.3 million luxury home with its own private airport.

Shuto

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Looks like they would make ideal tornado shelters but you'd be in big trouble if you locked yourself out of your silo.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If I had the funds, I would think about this. It seems very Dr. Evil-ish...

OUMoose

Trying to find my place
Reaction score
I've seen a couple websites that do this sort of real estate. It would be interesting, but I think the utilities might be expensive. Then again, if you went "off the grid" with solar/geothermal energy, it might not be so bad. :)

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've seen a couple websites that do this sort of real estate. It would be interesting, but I think the utilities might be expensive. Then again, if you went "off the grid" with solar/geothermal energy, it might not be so bad. :)

Dude, where are those web-sites :) That would be SO freakin cool!

now just to convince the wifey LOL... she likes her sunshine too much! hehehe...

shoot, I could make my own Stargate Command! (for all you SG-1 and SG-Atlantis buffs out there)