Bruce Lee : The Quickest!!!

OP
B

bob919

are you sure its from conditioning cause some people naturally have larger knuckles i used to punch hard objects to condition mine they got bigger and are like steel but i dont do tat now i have realised whe i am 60 i want to be abble to write

OP
S

sammy3170

Originally posted by moviefan4
Hey,

Bruce Lee is hands down the fastest martial artist on the silver screen. What do you guys think? His flicks show his amazin’ speed. I was checkin out Enter the Dragon last night and kept rewinding the scene where he takes the villains claw. Super tight! Another guy that is tearin’ up the martial arts scene is Mark Darcascos. He just came out in that French film, Brotherhood of the Wolf and he is off the hook! I was checkin out the fight scenes at www.13thstreet.com/site/common/view-content.jsp?id=d9348-cb6db-c06f7-fdd64&section=Clips&R_N=0203 and , man, this guy can get down. Have you guys heard of this movie? I guess its supposed to be somekinda horror flick. Check it out.

Peace

--Moviefan4

Bruce Lee was fast don't get me wrong but he was also very good at not telegraphing his technique so he also had what could be termed perceived speed.

Cheers
Sammy

OP
T

ThuNder_FoOt

Bruce Lee was fast, but it wasn't only his mobility that made him fast. In his book, he talks about 5 different types of speed:

Perceptual Speed- quickness of the eye to see openings, discouraging and confusing your opponent... slowing him down

Mental Speed- quickness of the mind to select the right move to counter the opponent

Initiation Speed- Economical starting from te right postureand with the correct mental attitude

Performance Speed- quickness of movement in carrying the chosen move into effect. Involves actual muscle contraction speed.

Alteration Speed- The ability to change direction midstream. Involves control of balance and inertia.

I think it was Lee's perserverance at perfecting all these factors of speed, that made his overall speed supreme.

I still have yet to see anyone that can match his speed. The closest person I've seen, is Muay Thai pioneer Ajarn Chai. He has to be the fastest man currently alive.

:asian:

OP
M

Mormegil

Originally posted by Cthulhu
The same was said of Bruce Lee, particularly in the filming of the Green Hornet episodes. I've read a few accounts where they said they eventually had to speed up the cameras for Lee since at normal speed, he'd walk up to a person, there'd be a blur or nothing at all, and that person would fall or fly. By recording at a higher speed and then slowing the camera playback down to normal speeds, the camera was able to capture the motion and then play it back so we could actually see what Lee was doing. Basically, speeding a camera up during recording slows the action down when it's played back at normal speeds.

In contrast, you could look at a Van Dumme movie where either the camera has been slowed down and/or the playback is sped up to make him look faster than he really is.

For some martial arts movie geek fun, get the Enter the Dragon DVD and watch Lee's fight scene with Bob Wall (Ohara)...particularly the beginning techniques from the reference point. Watch that sequence frame-by-frame and see how many moves Lee really does. A good example of trapping hands, by the way.

Cthulhu

Comment on the trapping. I don't have the DVD version (came out a month after I got the VHS). The first two seemed to be Pak Sao / Gua Choi. The third, and most extensive trapping set was Pak Sao / Ping Choi, Pak Sao / Gua Choi, Lop Sao / Gua Choi. Just three traps..."just"

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Heh, I saw a book written by Bruce Lee at the bookstore last night--evidently this Bruce Lee is a World War II historian! It was quite a surprise to see an academic history book by Bruce Lee!

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
It was published in 1993 so it looks like someone finished his work or they maybe used his work to base the book or something.

OP
I

Infight

Speedy Gonzalez is quickest than him, as Road Runner or The Flash, or Any Kenian Guy.

OP
S

sweeper

do you even try to contribute to threds infight?

OP
I

Infight

Of course, ill be glad, any questions, about BJJ or Thai Boxing?

OP
S

sweeper

actualy I do have one about BJJ but I guess this isn't the best forum for it.. I have practiced with some BJJ people but not in a BJJ class. I was wondering what kind of stand up work you guys do, like standing grappling, throws, striking, etc..

BJJ gets alot of attention for it's ground game but I'm assumming you guys also do some kind of stand up.

OP
I

Infight

Well, in BJJ we dunno pratice standing fight too much, just some throws to lead the fight to ground, the same learned in Judo, no striking ( punching or kicking ), indeed we do some stand up grappling, like standing choke, or kimura lock on standing, but thats not our routine, just the Judo throws.
Hope had helped you!

OP
S

sweeper

do you guys aproach stand up fighting from any other perspectives other than a judo one? like for example a wrestling perspective?

phlaw

Purple Belt
Reaction score
What about Jeff Speakman, have you seen The Perfect Weapon, he iis fast, and even faster in person.

Ed Parker even called him "The Next Bruce Lee"

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by phlaw
What about Jeff Speakman, have you seen The Perfect Weapon, he iis fast, and even faster in person.

Ed Parker even called him "The Next Bruce Lee"

That was a good movie. I started in Kajukenbo and Kajukenbo and Kenpo have a strong bond. They need more movies of arts that evolved here in the USA!

OP
I

Infight

Originally posted by sweeper
do you guys aproach stand up fighting from any other perspectives other than a judo one? like for example a wrestling perspective?

I cant answer your question, i dont know the Wrestling perspective. If you mean going directly for legs, yup, but thats used on Judo too, if you mean grabbing the opponent, lift him and put him on ground, no we dont do that, but there are similar techniches on Judo that dunnot demand that much of strenght to apply.