Bruce Lee, steroids and Hong Kong culture

kaizasosei

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
i finished reading the writing on bruce lee. i feel like the time i just saw 'the last emperor of china' as a child. ok. maybe not that bad.

what saddened me most was that it was exactly as i had imagined or worse. by worse i mean, i always sensed that bruce lee was very alone. i knew that he himself contributed to this by being so crazy, but i still thought that it was a sign that people were jealously setting him up for a fall. ironically, those that venerated him most are most suspect in my eyes, and some of those that confronted him directly were probably more helpful than anyone else. i know such situations can be difficult. but to end up so alone- and then have ones being exploited from every corner...

i totally agree with the points about jkd too. although there are some great principles and useful information presented in the books made from notes, im close to positive, as a martial artist, bruce lee would have not agreed to make those books in that way. i could be wrong. but i think that the very reason that he kept his notes away from the others was because there were aspects of himself that he was saving for later. like being spiriual or advancing to greater hights in the martial arts- who knows, maybe to create a complete ma system one day. - but to simply toss his notes out into the masses is almost like an insult from a martial arts point of view. i mean, if you know you cannot do something then don't bother trying. i cannot for example complete leonardo davinci notes and if i did, i would possibly have to dedicate my entire life to such a task.

but not say..he would have wanted it like that, without understanding the subject fully, might be somewhat condecending. it's subtle, but anyone who takes the martial arts seriously, will take brucelee seriously, no matter how big of a goof he was in his day, he was a revolutionary martial artist. anyone who is a good martialartist will respect at least those traits of bruce lee. not like i am trying to show brucelee in a good light. i opinion stands about his fighting timing and instincts, but as far as martial arts goes he was not that traditional. his skills were real. im sure that there were and are some that could defeat him in competitions at the time, but if he had continued, discovered the mental aspect of fighting, he could really have become even much better still(without the muscles).
just check out on youtube you can see people doing way more crazy stuff that lee did back in 70s. you have all kinds of martial artists,parkour, stunts etc. however, in my opinion there is hardly anyone with the movements and skill of brucelee let.

i am very thankful to the author for sharing this information that i had sensed since ages was swept under the rug. it's not just the fact and the telling of the story, it is the communication of the truth. not the truth like a fact. ultimately the term truth is more than just facts.
i sometimes thought of brucelee as a brother in some weird way but the amount of time and thought that has been put into this writing is clearly a display of great understanding as well as courage .

j

Latest Discussions