Breathing techniques

egg

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hi,

I've been training for roughly 3 months now and my Kru has yet to teach us about breathing techniques.
In my opinion it seems crucial because it will heighten efficiency and also because a lot of other fighters are doing it their own way.
I think it would be best if I start developing these breathing habits earlier on.

Any help would be appreciated :)

OP
E

egg

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for replying SensibleManiac.

Should I be exhaling out of my mouth only or my nose as well?

Also at which point of striking should I be inhaling?

Without proper execution it feels like a choice between holding my breath too long and hyperventilation.

SensibleManiac

Black Belt
Reaction score
Ideally you'll want to inhale through the nose and exhale through the mouth, but this won't always be possible.
You should always be exhaling through the mouth.

You'll want to be careful not to exhale before you are throwing the strike or as you are bout to, as your opponent will read this and be able to move or counter. So you'll want to exhale after you've thrown the strike and while it is in motion and connecting.
You can practice this with a heavy bag, so your exhale is starting after you've thrown and during connection.
As for the inhale, ideally you'll want to practice inhaling immediately after you exhale.
So for 1 or 2 strikes you exhale then immediately inhale after the strike.
For a longer combination exhale emphasising each strike then inhale deeply after the barrage.
Practice this to make it a habit.
Hope this helps.

OP
E

egg

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
It sure does :) Thanks a lot !

Latest Discussions