Boston Ruminations

Phil Elmore

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I spent Sunday through Wednesday in Boston, MA, and then traveled to Salem. My lovely wife and I enjoyed our vacation very much. We saw many Kerry-Edwards signs and stickers, including an entire store in Downtown Boston devoted to "Kerry for President" materials (signs, mugs, shirts, etc.).

I took lots of good desktop photos of Boston Harbor when we visited the New England Aquarium. My attempts to smuggle out a penguin met with failure and were probably doomed from the start:

philinbostonharbor.jpg

At the Museum of Science, we toured a traveling Lord of the Rings exhibit, which was really cool. Here I am in front of one of the Naboo Starfighter props from Star Wars: The Phantom Menace.

philandfighter.jpg

Boston Common, where the hordes of squirrels are firmly in control, featuers a "Frog Pond" that boasts giant bronze frogs. I mean, how often do you get your picture taken in front of giant bronze frogs?

philandfrog.jpg

Here I am in front of a wax museum in Salem, with "Salacious Crumb" from Return of the Jedi. I'm the one on the right.

philandcrumb.jpg

In the shop of famous witch Laurie Cabot in Salem, there was a sign indicating that double-edged knives are illegal in MA but can be purchased for religious purposes (the double-edged athame, if you do not know, is a religious tool used by Wiccans and other neopagans). Customers were therefore exhorted to buy other items of religious significance if they intended to purchase a double-edged knife of any kind.

Given Boston's size I expected a great deal more... local color, if you will. We rode the T all over the Boston area and saw only a few oddballs. At no time did we feel threatened or unsafe in any way, nor did we see much in the way of decay and crime (granted, we did not see all of the city). I was pleasantly surprised by this.

The more I see of the world (I have been blessed with more opportunity to travel, of late, though not nearly as much as I would like given an increasingly busy schedule) the more I realize that much of my knee-jerk reactions to various other parts of the country are just that. In person, most places are... well, places to which one can adapt, of one must adapt at all.

RandomPhantom700

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Well, glad you enjoyed your vacation and all. But um, is your point just that you've changed your mind about Boston because you didn't see many homeless people or gangs (which is all I can assume you mean by "local color")?

On a side, I should probably check the knife laws in Florida.....

Xequat

Black Belt
Reaction score
Looks fun! I've never been to Boston, but I've been wanting to go for a while because I have some buddies from there. I travel more than the average bear, but I don't really know what I'm doing and I get lost easily (my greatest weakness. I could get lost on a bridge.). So thanks for posting some great info!

Too bad about the penguin, though.

P

PeachMonkey

Glad you had a good time in Boston... love that bronze frog photo.

Feisty Mouse

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Phil, those are great photos!!! You picked a good time to go visit - Boston is pretty nice this time of year, before the grey skies and winds and snow.

I haven't been there for a while - the recounting of your trip made me miss it! A friend of mine used to work at the Museum of Science - it sounded like a fun place to be able to clock in.

D_Brady

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Cool pictures,

Boston is a great place to go and walk around checking things out.

I'm glad you both had fun.

kenpo tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
Phil,

You stayed out of Southie, so you wouldn't have seen the 'playas' or any of the rougher element. You get to Faneuil Hall? The street performers there are loads of fun. We saw a juggler/acrobat/aerialist from New Zealand the day we went. You get to the North End for great food? We just love Boston -- you're correct. Great place to visit (we were there end of August) for those of you who've never been. KT

OP
P

Phil Elmore

Master of Arts
Reaction score
We did indeed visit Faneuil Hall, where we ate lunch one day outside of the markets behind the hall. We also walked into the North end (if Paul Revere House is considered the North end) -- we followed the Freedom Trail to it.

kenpo tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
Phil,

Sounds like you pretty well hit the high points.

My university was a half hour outside of Boston, so I was there a few times during my college career. However, it wasn't until my elder son attended college in Boston itself that we truly explored the city. Would be one of two I'd move to in a heartbeat (the other being Chicago).

Thanx for sharing the pics. Too bad about the penguin... KT

Mace

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Ouch Pete, that hurt! Look for the Sox to sweep tonight (I hope I hope).
Sean

kenpo tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
Those are great hockey towns!!!!

Baseball? What's that?:idunno:

Latest Discussions