books

W

wakinaguri

:partyon: Has anyone out there read the book by Tom Bleeker? The title of the book is unsettled matters.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
On an unrelated note...tonight at the bookstore I was fliiping through this book:
The Dragon and the Tiger: The Birth of Bruce Lee's Jeet Kune Do, the Oakland Years by Greglon Yimm Lee and Sid Campbell

It discusses a fight Bruce Lee had with a Karate practitioner named Uechi who challenged him. The description of the fight refers to Uechi taking a forward stance, and also a few other things that make it sound like Japanese (not Okinawan) Karate. Yet I can't help but wonder: Could he have been a Uechi-ryu practitioner? Does anyone know?

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think I read an account of this fight in a Bruce Lee biography entitled "Fighting Spirit"...I think the author was Bruce Thomas, but I'm too lazy to walk to my bookshelf to verify.

If I remember correctly, the fight ended with Lee straight punching the guy the length of a racquetball court or something, after deflecting a kick from the karateka.

I don't think the biography specified what system of karate the man represented...maybe it was never actually known by the respective writers. And I think in that time period, karate was just karate to many people.

Cthulhu

Latest Discussions