Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Bolts at center of Big Dig collapse case

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061231/ap_on_re_us/big_dig

No, it comes down to the hundreds of bolts, each weighing less than a pound, that were glued into the concrete tunnel roof to hold up the 4,600-pound concrete ceiling panels.

That's the focus of legal wrangling over the death of a woman killed when several panels collapsed one night.

A review of records and interviews with investigators by The Associated Press has found that:

_The bolts, about 5/8 of an inch in diameter and 6 to 8 inches long, according to various sources, had not been inspected since the tunnel opened to traffic in January 2003.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What a boondoggle. This'll be its own whole course in (Civil) Engineering Ethics at college. I hope they can assign blame--so often everyone points fingers at everyone else and no one is punished.

OP
Rich Parsons

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What a boondoggle. This'll be its own whole course in (Civil) Engineering Ethics at college. I hope they can assign blame--so often everyone points fingers at everyone else and no one is punished.

I tell people who are concerned to be a doctor or lawyer. If someone is sick and unable to be healed it is life. If someone was guilty and the lawyer tried it is accepted.

No one cares about an engineer until something goes wrong and then everybody wants to know whose fault is it? And then everyone hates/dislikes them (* the engineer *).

Is it the designer, the person who implamented this or the person who inspected or tested? One or all? While I agree that if something was done out of ordinary then it should be brought up and looked at and if required legal actions.

I am sad about those involved and hurt or killed by the collapse.

I think Ethics is a good class for everyone to take.

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah, but an engineer is an easy target. Just like every fire is caused by electric problems. The major difference is that it is just plain fun to blame you guys. :) :lfao:

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
All joking aside, engineers are placed in tough positions most times. I see people wanting designs that there is no way to engineer a safe way to implement it. Then they complain about you guys and how difficult it is to work with engineers. I do not envy you your job. I would almost bet it is a combination of inspection and construction, and not design and engineering.

OP
Rich Parsons

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yeah, but an engineer is an easy target. Just like every fire is caused by electric problems. The major difference is that it is just plain fun to blame you guys. :) :lfao:

This is true. :D :lol: No one cares who their car starts. No cares how their phone works. No one care about their microwave. No one cares about their Computer or cable or ..., UNTIL it does not work even if it is being used in a not specified way. (* Not that this thread is about that. For I would expect that the usage here is for the bolts to hold and always hold or bond *) ;)

And yes it is fun. :)

OP
Rich Parsons

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
All joking aside, engineers are placed in tough positions most times. I see people wanting designs that there is no way to engineer a safe way to implement it. Then they complain about you guys and how difficult it is to work with engineers. I do not envy you your job. I would almost bet it is a combination of inspection and construction, and not design and engineering.

Yes I agree. The number of engineers I know who have had a house built and had to have a talk with the construction team(s) about how a load bearing wall needs to have the load placed upon it, and not just hanign above it. Or how they would move things and supports to fit their idea of better. (* While I agree that many a construction / carpenter knows about their trade they should also not just change things without experience or knowledge. *) There is a reason a "PRINT" is approved for structure as it is their responsibility to make sure it safe for those who use the building.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This is probably not a design problem but a cost-cutting measure late in the game by the actual construction company, I'd guess. Still...so often it's "no one's fault" but still people die. Someone should have been responsible for this structure being safe.

OP
Rich Parsons

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This is probably not a design problem but a cost-cutting measure late in the game by the actual construction company, I'd guess. Still...so often it's "no one's fault" but still people die. Someone should have been responsible for this structure being safe.

I agree.

Blotan Hunka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I think it was really a CIA or Mossad operation. They were trying to arrange another terrorist attack to keep the war and the Neo-con plan for world domination going. Unlike the towers this one went awry and its being put out by the gvt. controlled media as an "accident". :uhyeah:

Latest Discussions