Bogu kUMITE

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I know there are couple of practioners of this type of fighting. I am considering making incorporating this type of idea for higher levels. Acouple of questions
1.) Are there cheaper alternatives to the "traditional" gear
2.) Can you feel impact? Enough so to keep you honest
3.) are there meets or get togethers where one could spar around?

Thank any input apprieciated

N

Nashi no ki

Well depending on what you think is traditional protection, maybe the kendo armour like protection, I would recommend anzen super safe bogu(helmet and chest protector), if the chest protector is still too pricy try a teakwondo chest protector. We dont use hand padding or things like that, so bare fist.

About impact, yes when technique is properly applied a nice bang accompinies a heavy feeling of impact. It can really hurt sometimes. (I even went KO once from a yodan zuki)

There are ofcourse cons and pros, big pro I think is that you can get in close with a technique and that you can feel/ see/ experience what happens to the technique when applied in full force.

Yeti

Black Belt
Reaction score
I agree completely with Nashi no ki. I once got a broken rib from a mawashi geri to the chest. :vu: This was using a traditional TKD chest protector when I was young and stupid and fighting another individual of the same mentality...control was not even a consideration. However, if you plan on introducing this to your senior students, this lack of control should be a non-issue.

-Mike

RRouuselot

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The Kai said:
I know there are couple of practioners of this type of fighting. I am considering making incorporating this type of idea for higher levels. Acouple of questions
1.) Are there cheaper alternatives to the "traditional" gear
2.) Can you feel impact? Enough so to keep you honest
3.) are there meets or get togethers where one could spar around?

Thank any input apprieciated
1) ebogu.com has some good eals on "modern" bogu. There is a link to their site on my website. http://www.geocities.com/ryushikan/tokyodojo.html

2) Yes, you can feel it a bit. On my webpage you can see some photos, the bottom row shows how much you can feel bogu. One of the students is getting knocked down by a punch.

3) You will just have to check in your area. The number of folks that still do this type of training is getting less and and less. More people are going for non-contact type sparring.

RRouuselot

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Nashi no ki said:
Well depending on what you think is traditional protection, maybe the kendo armour like protection,

1)I would recommend anzen super safe bogu(helmet and chest protector), if the chest protector is still too pricy try a teakwondo chest protector. We dont use hand padding or things like that, so bare fist.

About impact, yes when technique is properly applied a nice bang accompinies a heavy feeling of impact. It can really hurt sometimes. (I even went KO once from a yodan zuki)

There are ofcourse cons and pros, big pro I think is that you can get in close with a technique and that you can feel/ see/ experience what happens to the technique when applied in full force.
1)The “bubble” masks from Anzen tend to break. I have seen at 3 that collapsed on to guys noses. Not a pretty sight. Plus they fog up and are hard to breath out of.

The type of helmet below works with boxing or MMA type gloves. They don’t normally break and are easy to breath out of.

N

Nashi no ki

Actually there is a new kind of "bubble" helmet, which should be safer, and doesnt fog up.

RRouuselot

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Nashi no ki said:
Actually there is a new kind of "bubble" helmet, which should be safer, and doesnt fog up.

Do you have a website or a photo of one?

RRouuselot

Master of Arts
Reaction score
A few bogu kumite photos:

web3.jpg

kama2.jpg

web2.jpg

OP
The Kai

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Are you wearing the kendo bogu??

Would there be any events, clinics the the midwest??

TimoS

Master of Arts
Reaction score
RRouuselot said:
A few bogu kumite photos

I'll add one of mine. This was taken during our tuesday morning kumite training class (every tuesday morning from 7 - 8:30)

Attachments

• $CIMG0405.JPG
    $CIMG0405.JPG
    11.7 KB · Views: 235

RRouuselot

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The Kai said:
Are you wearing the kendo bogu??

Would there be any events, clinics the the midwest??
The top photo they are wearing metal bogu helmets that are similar to kendo helmets.
The bottom 2 photos they are wearing helmets like the one in the other photo I posted.

RRouuselot

Master of Arts
Reaction score
They are basically the same mask. One is made by Super safe and the other by a different company. The site describes the rules and possible uses for each helmet. It says which organizations use which type. The author goes on to describe that 3 & 4 are safe, however, I have seen 3 & 4 types break right across people’s noses leaving some pretty big cuts and don’t recommend them for hard punches.

We actually use #6 on that page which is used by Nihon Kempo and various Law Enforcement here in Japan.

OP
The Kai

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Does the helmet you posted protect your head? (i'm not expecting 100 percent)
In advance i Thank you for your time.
The body protecter can you still feel impact
you don't wear regular boxing gloves do you?

OP
The Kai

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Timo S.

What helmet are you guys wearing??
Gloves??

TimoS

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The Kai said:
Timo S.

What helmet are you guys wearing??
Gloves??

The helmet is the same one Robert showed here previously, but that is only a practise helmet for us. In competition were using this kind of helmet

kumitekaato.jpg

The picture is from 2000 Finnish championships. As for gloves, everybody seems use different types. Some people are using boxing gloves

N

Nashi no ki

Just an other remark, like in any kumite, of course a bit of restrain is also necessary in bogu kumite, specially concerning jodan waza.

RRouuselot

Master of Arts
Reaction score
upnorthkyosa said:
What are the rules for Bogu Kumite?
For us it's:
No strikes to to the groin, back, back of the head. Other than those you can hit as hard as you want.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
RRouuselot said:
For us it's:
No strikes to to the groin, back, back of the head. Other than those you can hit as hard as you want.

How about leg kicks? Are knees viable targets? How about nage? Do the matches continue when they go to the ground?