Bo Sparing With My Student

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Weapons sparring can be so difficult to do because of the safety needs. The need for caution can really undermine the true effectiveness of the techniques. Staff techniques can be real bone-crunchers.

Good job working on it, I’m surprised you are wearing so little safety gear.

OP
Christopher Adamchek

Christopher Adamchek

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Weapons sparring can be so difficult to do because of the safety needs. The need for caution can really undermine the true effectiveness of the techniques. Staff techniques can be real bone-crunchers.

Good job working on it, I’m surprised you are wearing so little safety gear.

Thank you, its really important to find a good balance of healthy respect/restraint, a fighting mentality, and a healthy fear of the weapons (which too much gear can sometimes mitigate) all in all a good partner is worth its weight in gold as they say

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Thank you, its really important to find a good balance of healthy respect/restraint, a fighting mentality, and a healthy fear of the weapons (which too much gear can sometimes mitigate) all in all a good partner is worth its weight in gold as they say
That is a really good point, in having a good training partner who you trust. Critical for this kind of thing. Someone careless or with a mean streak could be a disaster with weaponry.

My vision with staff work is that there ought t be a lot of heavy intent with every technique. If it was a real fight, one shot with the staff should end it with a smashed bone. Obviously that cannot be done in sparring, so there needs to be an understanding of what is being held back in the name of safety.

Latest Discussions