Black Hawk Down...

NARC

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I had the privlage to be one of a small group of LEO's to hear Ret. Col. Danny McKnight talk about his experience in Mogadishu,1993, along with his men.
Col. McKnight, was played by Tom Sizemore in the movie. I had never saw the movie up until the other day, after hearing his lecuture.
The lecutre addressed numerous matters and issues that he and other ranking Officials had to deal with back then.
There were so many things he spoke of I cannot cover all of them, but the "Leadership" Qualities/Expectations/Responciblities he spoke of are of interest, I wish more individuals would take heed.

A acronymn he used LDRSHIP:
Loyalty
Duty
Respect
Self-less/Service
Honor
Integerity
Personal Courage

One quote that I thought that was really great was:
"Anyone can lead on a good day, on a day of CRISiS it takes a TRUE Leader".

If you are able to go to one of his Lectures it will be most rewarding!
And lastly, for those of you who are in the Armed Forces Past or Present I truely thank you for your SERVICE!

Attachments

• $mcknight.jpg
    $mcknight.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 149

dearnis.com

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
You need to tell me when these things are coming up!!
Highly recommend Will Durant's "In the Company of Heros"; also a new one called "The Battle of Mogadieshu" (Spelling may be off).

So many moving stories out of that event.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing this experience with us! I have the book on my shelf but have not yet read it.

Sapper6

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
NARC said:
I had the privlage to be one of a small group of LEO's to hear Ret. Col. Danny McKnight talk about his experience in Mogadishu,1993, along with his men.
Col. McKnight, was played by Tom Sizemore in the movie. I had never saw the movie up until the other day, after hearing his lecuture.
The lecutre addressed numerous matters and issues that he and other ranking Officials had to deal with back then.
There were so many things he spoke of I cannot cover all of them, but the "Leadership" Qualities/Expectations/Responciblities he spoke of are of interest, I wish more individuals would take heed.

A acronymn he used LDRSHIP:
Loyalty
Duty
Respect
Self-less/Service
Honor
Integerity
Personal Courage

One quote that I thought that was really great was:
"Anyone can lead on a good day, on a day of CRISiS it takes a TRUE Leader".

If you are able to go to one of his Lectures it will be most rewarding!
And lastly, for those of you who are in the Armed Forces Past or Present I truely thank you for your SERVICE!

the are the 7 Army Values. i wear them around my neck along my my ID tags, as do most other soldiers.

the guy is a true warrior. as f'ed up as that movie was, it was true story.

OP
NARC

NARC

Orange Belt
Reaction score
If I have forgotten to mention, our Academy will also be having (Ret.) Lt. Col. Dave Grossman speaking in the month of November. He is another speaker who should not be missed!! from what I hear.....
topic covered will be his book "on Killing"...the psychological cost of learning to kill in war and society.

Thanks again to all the men & women (young/old , past/present) who have experienced the chaos of war. I pray for you all...

John 15:13 "Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends"

Attachments

• $BlackHawkDown5.jpg
    $BlackHawkDown5.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 117

Latest Discussions